Job Finding for a newly qualified OOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Finding for a newly qualified OOW

Hi, this is a question for any qualfied OOW.

I am currently a deck cadet with still quite a bit of time before I qualify. But... I was wondering if it is hard to get a job as a 3rd Officer for a company rather than an agency after qualifying? I've heard that it is hard for NQOs to get a start and any advice on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I got a job with a company within 2 days of getting my CoC back. Actually had my interview offer before it all arrived. Everything depends on the current situation and how you present yourself in your application (plus using contacts) but the right people shouldn't find it too difficult to find work.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgemonkey View Post
      I got a job with a company within 2 days of getting my CoC back. Actually had my interview offer before it all arrived. Everything depends on the current situation and how you present yourself in your application (plus using contacts) but the right people shouldn't find it too difficult to find work.
      Must be an exception, yes it's hard. 90% of people in my phase haven't managed to find that first 3rd officer role yet (myself included).

Comment

Originally posted by The Kraken View Post
        Must be an exception, yes it's hard. 90% of people in my phase haven't managed to find that first 3rd officer role yet (myself included).
        Wow, that's tough. That's a huge number, it really doesn't stack up with this shortage of officers that seems to frequent all the government statistics.

Though from the job sites I have looked at you seem (sadly) more accurate with your figures as to the amount of work available.
        There seems to be lots of senior officer jobs.
        How nice it would be if they could actually explain where this shortage is.
        Good luck hunting I hope you find something soon.

Comment

Completely off topic (that's me) but in my third year at college BP, Shell and a couple of other companies came along and started offering cadetships to prospective radio officers - something that I don't think had ever happened before as you weren't qualified to go to sea until you'd passed all your exams so it was quite a financial risk for them.

They said that the reason they'd been forced to offer these cadetships was because of a huge shortage of Sparkies.

I did my final year at college as a cadet and then did a 7 month trip which gave me enough sea time to be in charge of my own shack. I spent 3 months on leave nagging them for a trip. The best they could do was to send me away as a second again. When I asked why they said they had a glut of Sparkies. I find it hard to believe that things changed so much in 18 months.
          io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
            Wow, that's tough. That's a huge number, it really doesn't stack up with this shortage of officers that seems to frequent all the government statistics.

Though from the job sites I have looked at you seem (sadly) more accurate with your figures as to the amount of work available.
            There seems to be lots of senior officer jobs.
            How nice it would be if they could actually explain where this shortage is.
            Good luck hunting I hope you find something soon.
            A lot of it can be traced to companies wanting to employ for the cheapest price, if you look on some sites they specifically say "Russian only", or "Ukrainian only". Brits have practically been pushed out of the bulk cargo/container sectors. My sponsor company got rid of all Europeans in the last two years, most are UK flagged as well but the DoT doesn't seem to care...

Comment

Yeah I understand it was quick. I have friends who are still looking and they passed their orals a while before I did. I still maintain that if you do the legwork then it pays off eventually. I've found that getting your name around and having an interest point on your cv definitely helps. I know that every response I got back was as a result of either a prior contact or them seeing something on my CV and wanting to know more. I went from deep sea to offshore after my cadetship and haven't looked back. Having someone look through your CV is definitely a must. A few friends sent me their CVs to look through and I picked up several small bits that they hadn't even thought about. Even just a fresh pair of eyes is a massive help.

Comment

Hi, so what sort of points would you say made your CV stand out compared to others I guess !?
                Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Kraken View Post
                  As an aspiring deck cadet I'm pretty shocked to hear that. I assumed that sponsoring companies would keep their cadets on!?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    As an aspiring deck cadet I'm pretty shocked to hear that. I assumed that sponsoring companies would keep their cadets on!?
                    Hahaha no you a just a tick in the box to help them keep their tax low.

Comment

Although some companies actually do value and invest more than other companies in their cadets. Thus these will be the ones that actually hire you at the end such as, Maersk, Carnival etc. But as Gadget123 says its mainly for the massive tax break they get from the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                        The RFA might suit your circumstances as they take their cadets on as employees and the pay is almost double the bursaries many cadets receive. There is lots of information on here about them and on the RN website, and a few members who regularly post that are with them.
                        The engineering side also seems to have more work available to the newly qualified too from what I have noticed in discussions and looking at agencies websites.

Comment

The standby companies, Vroon & Northstar in particular are sometimes a bit better at taking on NQO's, mainly because the job is so boring and there is quite a high turnover of officers. The pay and job is ****e, but at least you can get some stamps. I had my first trip with Whitaker Tankers, but then I'd done my cadetship with James Fisher so I knew the job. I managed to get a recommendation off a past Captain who'd gone to work with them too which was a big help.

I think it is awful that the sponsoring companies and colleges keep saying that there are lots of jobs out there when in fact there are very few if you do not get taken on by your sponsoring company. There should be a clause where they have to offer a minimum of six months employment after the cadetship or lose their tax break! I have just under 12 months seatime as an officer and finding decent employment is still very difficult.

Comment

Must say, after reading this thread I am incredibly releived at being a Maersk cadet.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBjerke View Post
                              Must say, after reading this thread I am incredibly releived at being a Maersk cadet.
                              After reading this thread I'm incredibly envious of Maersk cadets and kicking myself for turning down the interview!

Comment

Working...
                              X