Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous Cargo Light

Dear

As all of us know, we display during night in port or bunkering time, a flashing or all round red light known as Dangerous Cargo Light.

I have gone through ISGOTT and Code of Signals to see if there is any written word regarding this light ! And amazingly nothing exists.

Does anybody know any place where it is written ?

Thanks

It's a local regulation in some ports and it's been unofficially adopted everywhere.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

@alistairuk - Thank you for the reply. Noted that there is no official regulation written anywhere !

Comment

This light come from flag BRAVO (i am taking in or discharging or carrying dangerous goods ) . . . on day time this flag will be placed on top of navigation bridge.

Comment

It should actually be a fixed all round red light, I can't offhand remember the exact reference, but there is one somewhere. But as above it is almost universally accepted as a red flashing light. This originated in Japan (I think). You will find all ships built in Japan have this as a standard part of there Christmas tree lights, same as a flashing green for big ships.
          If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Since when did marine fuels become dangerous cargo?
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

It's an oil, so comes under the general definition?!?!?
              If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                No idea but the SMS / checklist says put the flag up - who are we to argue with the knowledgable office team!

Besides I'm sure if someone dropped a blow torch onto the barge it might ignite.
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I saw quite a few ships showing the DG light at night while underway deep sea. Any idea what that was about? My OOW just said some people do it just because...

Comment

Acorrding to the imdg code hay is a dangerous cargo

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Errm I would guess the fact its a marine pollutant would be the big one, but please try dumping a few tons into a harbour and see if that is just a mistaken assumption.

hay self ignites, flour explodes, and fighter planes require class one segregation, makes the lighting a bugger to lamp up.
                      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Clanky : Marine fuels always been dangerous cargo. Case in point, you will see most ships in Fujairah ( or possibly other bunkering anchorages ) having Bravo Flag or Dangerous cargo lights most of the times. !

Harmless Weasel : Even I have sighted vessels having DC light on during navigation. Its an error and in violation of Rule 20 , which states , "during such times no other light shall be exhibited "

Thank you all for replies !

Comment

Just because ships hoist bravo when bunkering does not make fuel a dangerous cargo. Is there and IMDG number for heavy fuel oil?
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Aye, "except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these rules". I find the deck/side lights far more irritating as they mask/hide the side lights

Comment

Yes but it's not cargo so doesn't come under imdg code

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X