Pilot Ladders made on board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Ladders made on board

Can anybody confirm that pilot ladders are not meant to be put together on board anymore?

There were rules adopted into SOLAS in 2010 that meant that they have to be certified by the manufacturer, so doesn't that mean that it is banned to use ones that are made on board?

Originally posted by marlinspike View Post
    Can anybody confirm that pilot ladders are not meant to be put together on board anymore?

There were rules adopted into SOLAS in 2010 that meant that they have to be certified by the manufacturer, so doesn't that mean that it is banned to use ones that are made on board?
    From http://www.dnv.com/industry/maritime..._july_2012.asp ;

Approval/Certification of the pilot ladder
    New pilot ladders shall be approved or certified according to that stated below:

For ships flying an EU flag, the pilot ladder is required to be MED approved according to item A.1/4.49 of the MED Directive 96/98/EC as amended.

For ships not flying an EU flag, the pilot ladder shall be certified by the manufacturer as stipulated by MSC.308(88) V/23.2.3.

Installation date
    An interpretation of the installation date is given by IMO in MSC/Circ.1375 (December 2010). This interpretation was amended at MSC 90 (May 2012) and a revision MSC/Circ.1375/Rev.1 is to be published by IMO in the near future with the following wording:
    (note: only 1.2 is amended)

1.1, for ships for which the building contract is placed on or after 1 July 2012, or in the absence of the contract, constructed on or after 1 July 2012, “installed on or after 1 July 2012” means any installation on the ship; and

1.2, for ships other than those ships prescribed in .1 above, “installed on or after 1 July 2012” means a contractual delivery date for the system, in its entirety or for individual components of the system, as relevant, to the ship on or after 1 July 2012 or, in the absence of a contractual delivery date, the actual delivery of the system, in its entirety or for individual components, to the ship on or after 1 July 2012. This does not apply to equipment and arrangements covered by paragraph 1.4 of regulation V/23.
    Basically from July 2012, any new pilot ladders delivered to the vessel are meant to be certified by the manufacturer, so no they shouldn't be being made onboard (unless anyone can find an exemption for that?).
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I believe that you are allowed to carry out repairs onboard, but that these are limited to replacing a specified number of steps / wedges.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Clanky, do you know where that regulation about repairing it comes from?

Comment

No, sorry. I will ask around.
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

The last few companies I worked for as a deck officer before moving over to project work brought in policies stating no pilot or boarding ladders were to be made, altered or repaired on board. When I asked for full clarification they simply told me that we had to throw away any broken ladders and buy new, and the reason they gave was legislation changes. As I considered this "above and beyond" the normal of safety level I did not bother to question it, another motive was that as it also provided us with a unique source of good wood for the carpenters projects, including some nice little benches etc. (Come to think of it we did have a sudden rise in pilot ladder defects after that).

Hope that helps but unable to provide a law/code on it.

Cheers and enjoy,

Greg
            Water, water, every where,
            And all the boards did shrink;
            Water, water, every where,
            Nor any drop to drink.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - S.T. Coleridge

Comment

Originally posted by marlinspike View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

Clanky, do you know where that regulation about repairing it comes from?
              Had forgotten about this, have asked around and checked out the regs and there is no facility, as far as I can see, in the regs for repairs, so it is just buy a new one every time.
              Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
              X