Difference between "Passage" and "Safe Passage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between "Passage" and "Safe Passage"

Does anyone know the difference between passage and safe passage in the context of rule 8?

Safe passage is used in the COLREGs to usually define a vessel which cannot manoeuvre, or are following a TSS. It's mentioned in Rule 10 when a vsl < 20m or a sailing vessel are not to impede the safe passage of a PDV in a TSS, which are following the TSS (note only when following). It is also used in Rule 18 (Responsibilities between vessels) to state that no one (except NUC or RAM) shall impede the passage of a CBD vessel.

I take it to mean, it will be dangerous for a vessel in a TSS or a CBD to take bold collision avoiding action, so you will allow them safe passage along their route, either because they are following a TSS, or may be following a channel and to deviate may lead to a grounding.
    Linkedin

Comment

Just on a side note, I recommend getting a copy of "A Guide to the Collision Avoidance Rules", by Cockroft & Lameijar. It goes into great detail explaining in detail every part of the Rules, and features court cases of collisions, clarifying how the Rules were interpreted by investigators and the courts.
      Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
        Safe passage is used in the COLREGs to usually define a vessel which cannot manoeuvre, or are following a TSS. It's mentioned in Rule 10 when a vsl < 20m or a sailing vessel are not to impede the safe passage of a PDV in a TSS, which are following the TSS (note only when following). It is also used in Rule 18 (Responsibilities between vessels) to state that no one (except NUC or RAM) shall impede the passage of a CBD vessel.

I take it to mean, it will be dangerous for a vessel in a TSS or a CBD to take bold collision avoiding action, so you will allow them safe passage along their route, either because they are following a TSS, or may be following a channel and to deviate may lead to a grounding.
        Cheers, I'm still not really sure why they felt the need to mention safe passage and passage as they seem to have the same meaning in the end.

I always used to use the college copy of Cockroft & Lameijar in the library but I'm not at collage at the moment so couldn't look in there.

Comment

Errrr......

I just did a quick search for "a guide to the collision avoidance rules" in google and it added pdf to the end of it and took me to .............

Version 6?

Hmmmmmm
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
            Errrr......

I just did a quick search for "a guide to the collision avoidance rules" in google and it added pdf to the end of it and took me to .............

Version 6?

Hmmmmmm
            Cheers, I presumed it wouldn't be available so didn't bother looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
              Version 6?
              Treat with caution. That's the 2004 edition that doesn't have the most recent amendments to the Rules. 7th Edition is current.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Treat with caution. That's the 2004 edition that doesn't have the most recent amendments to the Rules. 7th Edition is current.
                it's also f***ing expenssive 3o quid for the kindle edition.

Comment

Good books aren't cheap. Cockroft pretty much got me through the Orals. The description of the rules are priceless when you're trying to figure them all out. I have version 5 on hardback, and 6 on Google Books because version 7 isn't on there yet. The 2001 amendments were mostly to do with WIGs, some signals for small vessels, and most importantly:

Action to avoid collision (Rule 8 (a)) - to make it clear that any action to
                  avoid collision should be taken in accordance with the relevant rules in the
                  COLREGs and to link Rule 8 with the other steering and sailing rules.
                  The 2007 amendments were distress signal related. The only thing which would make an older version of Cockroft redundant is this Rule 8 amendment really, so if you only have version 5, you will get by. Version 6 has the 2003 amendments. Just be aware of the distress signal amendments.
                  Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    it's also f***ing expenssive 3o quid for the kindle edition.
                    That's not that bad actually. SOLAS is ?76, ISGOTT is ?225, ?274 for the IBC Code.....
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

First and foremost, understand that the the difference between impede the passage and impede the safe passage isn't defined in any section of the IRPCS. Therefore, any interpretation is merely someones opinion. Some opinions are more important then others, and Cockroft & Lameijar refer to court cases where definition has been stated in a court of law, and this is probably the best possible one.
                      In all practical purposes, it doesn't matter what the difference is, what does matter is your actions when dealing with these vessels and that would be more then acceptable at any level of oral examination.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                        That's not that bad actually. SOLAS is ?76, ISGOTT is ?225, ?274 for the IBC Code.....
                        That's what economists would call rent seeking. You must have this it's the law and look w'ere the only people who can supply it so we can charge whatever we like.

Comment

Similar in a way to the Mafia. You need protection, we're going to provide it for you. Here's the bill. Oh, and we're going to ever so slightly change the protection terms in a few years, so you'll need to take out protection. Again.
                          Linkedin

Comment

Working...
                          X