Ships Logbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ships Logbook

Hi been asked to find out what is entered in a ships log book after your watch. Anyone provide details? Cheers

Originally posted by RJShields32 View Post
    Hi been asked to find out what is entered in a ships log book after your watch. Anyone provide details? Cheers

Hmm isnt this the sort of thing you should be finding out yourself?

Comment

he is otherwise the person who asked him the question would have posted the thread, although yeah if your in college i guess they mean go look at some books
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Do you want to know this before or after you've been to sea?

If before going to sea then why do you want to know now... you will find this out when you go to sea.

If you don't know this after being to sea then it shows you lack interest.

Comment

I don't know of any books that actually tell you what to write. Part of your companies ISM will tell you what to include as per company policy.

In most logbooks at the end of the watch you will write in met info like wind direction force, temperature, sea state, swell etc.. Navigation info like magnetic course, true course, gyro course, gps positon gyro error compass error... what info gets written in the lined box to summaries what happened over the course of the watch usually varies from captain to captain and company to company... Some ships you will have to write loads of rambling waffle in different colored pens and silly stuff like that, and other with more common sense you will just have to write a brief concise description.

Comment

After your watch the entry should be who you handed the watch over to.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingduck View Post
              Do you want to know this before or after you've been to sea?

If before going to sea then why do you want to know now... you will find this out when you go to sea.

If you don't know this after being to sea then it shows you lack interest.
              I have not been to sea, just started my at college and was asked by lecturer to try and find out what to enter into a log book. Had look on google and bits and bobs but no full list or explanation. So thought I would see if anyone here would be willing to explain and provide a bit of info, not a task or homework, just to see if we could find out and I thought the best place to ask would be people thats been to sea?

Not trying to be fly just asking for a bit of info

Comment

Don't worry - I don't think flying duck has been to sea either....
                Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Holy Nougat, I love your comment.

I read this thread yesterday and I thought it was a bad thread for a number of reasons. First of all if you ask a question give detail, Why you are asking it and exactly what it is you need. How can you expect people to give you time and effort if you don't put it in yourself.

But then everybody else just came across badly in my opinion because their answers were not really constructive or made assumptions. Whilst you put some information in your second message flyingduck I have to say your first one was dismissive and trite and came across as aloof and snobby. It reminded me of Captains in the 80's. However this was all brought on by the first question being so short of detail. If RJShields32 had put the information in their second post into the first then maybe they would have elicited better responses.

Personally I thought that my experience was too old and would be out of date so I did not post anything because I thought those with more recent experience would come along soon and be constructive.

Sorry guys but this thread does not show OfficerCadet in the best light. It may stop people posting questions other than anonymously.

But that is only my opinion.

Ian
                  "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                  "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                    Personally I thought that my experience was too old and would be out of date so I did not post anything because I thought those with more recent experience would come along soon...
                    I doubt bridge logs have changed much. What happened, who did it, where did it happen.

Comment

Cheers for the links, much appreciated.

To be very honest I looked at the first replies that I got and was quite thrown away with the comments and at some quite angry, I was effectively called a cheat and being lazy because I was asking for a bit of advice and guidance. Now to be quite fair even if it was homework, I would have still at least expected a bit of guidance, from people who I thought of as people who would be willing to help as to where I may find the correct answer, I wasn't asking for the answer to be given to me, just some advice or any sort of details as to how to possibly find an answer or where to go.

Cheers to the folk who did help and any moderator etc who sees this thread, feel free to delete.

Comment

Working...
                      X