X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malim Sahib
    replied
    Re: Question for size4...

The carriage of spare blades is very rare these days, simply because the owners see it as an unnecessary capital cost.
    As I mentioned earlier, you'll see many older ships with spare anchors/props on deck somewhere, however it's almost unheard of on more modern ships.
    As regards bringing back the 25% rule I would say definitely, or at the very least change the law back to what it was 20 years ago where at least the Old Man and Chief had to be UK citizens.

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied

Most cruise ships carry spare blades somewhere onboard (I would assume as do pretty much all ships) - as size4 said, it means it can be replaced in days at the nearest suitable dry dock, rather than taking weeks! Just think how much money it costs to have a cruise ship out of service for a few days (not just running costs, but refunds, lost revenue, etc. a week can end up costing the company millions)

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied

Er, yeah, like Malim said! The ship would still have to go to dry dock, but it could be done within weeks, not months.

Leave a comment:

• dawg
    replied

Originally posted by Malim Sahib
    at the same time they demanded that all nationality requirements be removed from British flag ships - prior to that all UK flag ships had to have a certain percentage of British nationals within the crew (25% as I recall).
    :74:

Leave a comment:

• Malim Sahib
    replied

In case she loses one!
    Prop blades are made from Phosphor Bronze which is a particularly expensive metal and is also generally cast to 'spec'. Ergo should QM2 lose one of the blades on her Azi-pods and didn't have a spare onboard, then she'd normally have to wait months for a new blade to be manufactured and fitted. This would of course have implications for the likes of service speed and her cruise schedule, i.e. she'd lose a lot of money.
    Until the 1980s it was a legal requirement for all British ships to carry a spare anchor and propellor - for obvious practical reasons. This was rescinded due to sustained pressure from Shipowners and at the same time they demanded that all nationality requirements be removed from British flag ships - prior to that all UK flag ships had to have a certain percentage of British nationals within the crew (25% as I recall).

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    started a topic Question for size4...

Question for size4...

Random question...

So the QM2 has spare prop blades. Eh... why?!

Working...
X