Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Handling Gloves - Recomendations

Good Day All,

I am looking for your recommendations for gloves to wear while line handling during mooring operations.

I find the standard cotton ones don't provide much grip when then lines are wet. I do have Mad Grip gloves (see below ) which I find great for general use, though provide too much grip to the point when even just loosely checking away to the line handlers ashore they grip too much. I also have Gill sail gloves and I find them just as well the same as the cotton gloves, good hand protection not enough grip. So if any of you have a "Goldilocks" recommendation that would be great.
    Capture.JPG
    Thank you,
    Deck Cadet
    Canada

All remarks and opinions are those solely of myself and do not represent those of any Organization.

Your Gloves are meant to protect your hands from being destroyed by the moving lines, not necessarily to grip them - the reason being if your gloves catch it’ll pull you along with the line and depending on luck your hand ends up crushed or ripped off (there’s plenty of examples in the accident reports of this happening) - also why the gloves should be reasonably loose so that they just get pulled off your hands if they catch.

(Of course that depends on the equipment your using if it’s tiny hand operated winches then it’s less of a problem than the massive hydraulic / electric winches).
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

You've got to be careful it terms of liability if you are using non company issued ppe as well. An easy way for them to wriggle out of things legally if there is an incident.

Comment

Agree with the above. If you do get injured at sea, it'll likely be a hand/finger injury and you'll want the company to pay out if you end up off work.

On a side note, I usually went through a pair of gloves a month so if you're paying for your own it'll add up.

Comment

Good Day,

Thank you for the replies, these are certainly factors that I take into consideration when looking for gloves or other PPE to wear. In particular my concern is finding a glove that has a good balance of grip and slip to help prevent and incident and injury.
          Deck Cadet
          Canada

All remarks and opinions are those solely of myself and do not represent those of any Organization.

Comment

I would take some palm leather gloves with you, they are much much more comfortable than any rigger gloves you get onboard. Can be a bit slippery when wet, but I don't wear gloves for line handling anyway.

Comment

As a side note, have you raised it onboard as a safety suggestion or whatever procedure your company follows?

It doesn’t solve an immediate issue however if you can get some PPE that’s approved/issued by the company you know you’re covered. Plus you don’t have to pay out for it yourself

To boldly go.....
              Forum Administrator
              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist View Post
                As a side note, have you raised it onboard as a safety suggestion or whatever procedure your company follows?

It doesn’t solve an immediate issue however if you can get some PPE that’s approved/issued by the company you know you’re covered. Plus you don’t have to pay out for it yourself
                Good Day,

I'm a Cadet right now so I don't have a company I just grab Sea time on whatever ship I can. But that certainly is a good point, I have heard there are companies that you can submit request to by some PPE for personal use.
                Deck Cadet
                Canada

Comment

Working...
                X