Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship Size Terms Question

Greetings,
    Sorry if this is not the place to post this question, but I couldn't find a better one.
    I am new to the maritime sector so I’ve been studying all I can to learn about it. Can someone please clarify this for me:
    1. Do SHIP SIZE terms like SUEZMAX and AFRAMAX have to do with “Size” or with “Type”?
      Is AFRAMAX always refering to Tankers? Or does it only have to do with size?
      Example: A bulker with the dimensions of an Aframax would be called an Aframax?
    2. Does SUPRAMAX stem from something? Or is it just a random word?
      I’m asking because most SHIP SIZE terms have origins, like PANAMAX.
    3. I’ve been looking for DAYS about this subject, but every article and website has its own definition of each term. Are there no definitions set in stone?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Suezmax, Aframax, Panamax etc all relate to the size of the vessel, specifically they're the maximum size of vessel that can safely navigate through somewhere OR the maximum size of vessel an industry standard will allow.

So for example a Suezmax is the largest vessel that can safely navigate through the Suez canal, panamamax the largest ship that can sail through the original panama canal (Neo-panamax is the largest ship that'll fit through the new panama canal).

Aframax is a vessel that's dimensions and tonnage fit the Average Freight Rate Assessment (AFRA) used for tankers.

Handymax/Supramax are standards used in the bulk vessel sector to easily define how large a vessel is, and how much cargo she can carry.

Tl;Dr If it's somewhere-max then it's the largest ship that'll fit somewhere, if it's random word-max it's the largest vessel that fits in the random word category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_measurements Scroll down to the bottom, the limits are listed in the box below the references.http://maritime-connector.com/wiki/ship-sizes/ Is also pretty useful.
    Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Thank you for your reply! MrStealth
      I'm still confused about this though:
      What category does an Aframax sized bulker fall into?
      Or a Suezmax sized Cargo carrier?
      Do they just not make Bulkers in Aframax size?
      Sorry if this is a dumb question but I seriously know nothing of the marine industry.

Comment

Originally posted by CosDim View Post
        What category does an Aframax sized bulker fall into?
        Or a Suezmax sized Cargo carrier?
        Do they just not make Bulkers in Aframax size?
        Sorry if this is a dumb question but I seriously know nothing of the marine industry.
        You won't get an "Aframax" sized bulker, as Aframax is used exclusively for tankers. There isn't really a bulker equivalent either - It all depends on how large the bulk carrier is.

Anything can be suezmax - Container ships, bulk carriers, tankers, cruiseships - As Suezmax is just another way of saying "this ship is small enough to fit in the suez canal, but too big to fit in smaller places".

No worries!
        Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Working...
        X