STCW rest hours, exceptions and the Manila amendments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STCW rest hours, exceptions and the Manila amendments

I apologize this is a bit of a long, dry post, with some maths involved, if there was a way to repay you guys with a pint, I surely would.

Also before you read all of this and decipher it, have a look at the IMO page: http://www.imo.org/en/mediacentre/pr...x#.W0zBgdJKhhE
    If that contains all the information required for rest hours you can tell me to get lost and just learn it.

Oh what a joy this has been trying to wrack my brain over this one, I read somewhere that the Manila Amendents were designed to bring rest hour regulations more in line with the MLC and help remove any confusion...

Here we go:

http://www.mptusa.com/pdf/STCW_guide_english.pdf

Please go to page 64: This quote seems factually incorrect to me:

Important: The previous provision that allowed the 10 hour rest period to be reduced to not less than six consecutive hours provided such reduction does not extend beyond two days, and not less than 70 hours of rest are provided each seven day period no longer applies in the 2010 STCW Convention.

This quote seems factually incorrect to me: from the IMO we have: http://www.imo.org/en/mediacentre/pr...x#.W0yz4tJKhhE

"Under the exception clause, parties may allow exceptions from the required hours of rest provided that the rest period is not less than 70 hours in any 7 day period and on certain conditions"

So the '70 hours in 7 days' exception is still in STCW?

and with regards to the rest hour exceptions it states that "the 10 hour minimum per 24 hour period is still in force"

it seems in exceptions that 10 hours is in fact 8 hours? (3 periods one at least 6 and the others at least 1hr). The minimum of 10 hours only applies to the normal rest hours.

So this is regarding the exceptions to the rest hours where within two 24 hour periods the rest may be divided into three periods where one must be 6 hours long and the other two at least 1 hour long. With your maximum duration between consecutive periods of rest being 14 hrs.

So you could say rest 6 hours work 8 rest for 1 hour work for 3 rest 1 hour then work for 5 hours then repeat....

So in that 24 hour period we have a total of 8 hours rest
    and 16 hours of work the workign hours are split into three 8 hours, 3 hours, 5 hours is that allowed?

The "70 in 7" exemption is still in STCW 2011 AFAIK. See https://www.westpandi.com/globalasse...n-and-code.pdf

Working on the basis that you're getting at least one period of 6 hours and 2 periods of an hour minimum, I believe it should clear STCW regulations, provided the period of reduced rest lasts for no more than 48 hours in any 7 day period.

That said you would still need to average 10 hours rest per day, to comply with the "70 in 7" requirement.

I could also be talking out of my arse... So treat the above with caution.
    Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post

That said you would still need to average 10 hours rest per day, to comply with the "70 in 7" requirement.

I could also be talking out of my arse... So treat the above with caution.
      Yeah so many numbers I'm a little dizzy. Your understanding is the same as mine.

And you could catch that up through the week, get 8 hours off one day and 12 hour off the next?

Also thanks for the link, I probably should have read the Manila amendments directly in the first place.

Comment

In theory you could just have an extra 2 hours rest on Saturday and 2 on Sunday to bring you to an average of 70 hours per 7 days - Assuming you got the minimum 10 hours rest on every day other than the 48 hour exception period.
        Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Consistently working 12-14 hour days is not sustainable and absolutely unsafe, I've seen it on the coasters around Europe and it astounds me that a coastal tanker captain/OOW can be completely fatigued driving around the coast whilst a truck driver ashore wouldn't be allowed to work anywhere near those hours... totally illogical.

Comment

Working...
          X