Bringing a Knife and Spike Onboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing a Knife and Spike Onboard

For those of you with cruise ship experience (size4!)...

Have you had any problems bringing a knife/spike on board? Any size limits etc?
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Re: Bringing a Knife and Spike Onboard

you need a big spike (fnar fnar)
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Will this fit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileublinSpireDusk.jpg

sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

no - just declare it to staff captain.

Your only slight issue could be airport / port security :-p
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Is it even useful to bring one along? I've heard mixed opinions... If so, is a normal sailor's knife reasonably useable?
          sigpic

Comment

It is useful, occasionally, you won't be walking around with them on your belt though (looks a bit scary to the passies!) When I joined ship in Southampton the security people (not ship personnel) saw it in my case on the scanner and got a bit worried about it and made me take them out so they could have a look. They then kept hold of them and passed them to the security officer, who promptly gave them back to me Had no problem with them going out of JFK airport with them in my main case.

Mine are pretty big, my knife is a bog standard currys one, alright but has gone a bit rusty and doesn't stay sharp for long, spike- it's worth getting a good sizeable one, not one of those silly little yachtie ones that usually come with the currys knives.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I don't think I would bother with a spike as I'm sure even passie boats have bosun's stores with a nice selection of different sized spikes to suit your every need. I always take my leatherman with me and I have never had any problems. If anyone queries it in my case then a quick flash of my discharge book usually sorts it out. I would bring a wee pocket torch with you for the bridge though, they are unbelievable handy!

Comment

Well y'see that's what I was thinking. I have a yachtie knife lying about somewhere with a teensy spike on it and a 3"-ish blade.

Good idea about the torch, though if I spend any huge amount of time on the bridge in phase one I'll be surprised.

I've got some handy little notebooks lined up, I've been warned not to be without one!

Should hopefully be finding out first ship soon, and possibly away before Christmas. It's going fast!
                sigpic

Comment

I've never come across anyone who took their own spike away with them. On a passie boat a 3" blade should be enough for most jobs and if anything bigger is needed then I'm sure you can find one. I prefer a multi-tool as it saves me having to carry around extra things like screwdrivers and stuff but others prefer just the knife. The other things I found handy to have in my boilersuit pockets is a wee shifter which is mainly used on fire extinguishers when I come across boats where we have to maintain our own, and a fire extinguisher pin seem to be the exact size of most of the relief holes on the hydrant caps so you can use it too clear it out when it gets blocked, but these are the sorts of things you have to worry about further down the line.

All you really need is a knife and some rags, a notebook, pen and gloves. That should cover you fro most eventualities!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                    Is it even useful to bring one along? I've heard mixed opinions... If so, is a normal sailor's knife reasonably useable?
                    I would suggest a leather man is probably more useful.
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I always take a Green River with me - a good seaman always carries a knife. I used to carry a Leatherman but gave up in the end because it was a bit too fiddly/fragile to use - trying to prize the blade/tool open when it's -20 outside is not easy! The other thing I found was that when the proverbial hits the fan and you need a knife quickly, a Leatherman takes much longer to extract from its leather pouch and open up, whilst also needing two hands to do so.
                      Another essential piece of kit is a mini maglite (the size that takes AA batteries). Very handy for the bridge at night and also for blackouts.

Comment

there are no such things as Blackouts.....any time you think you have seen such a thing it is a figment of the deck department's collective imagination and an urban myth.........they are planned Engineer Appreciation Hours....planned to make you appreciate things like, Air Con, Elevators and (it must be admited) sometimes lights.

Mini Mags lights are good for eningeers too,can be help between the teeth while using both hands for.....well whatever
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy
                          there are no such things as Blackouts.....any time you think you have seen such a thing it is a figment of the deck department's collective imagination and an urban myth.........they are planned Engineer Appreciation Hours....planned to make you appreciate things like, Air Con, Elevators and (it must be admited) sometimes lights.
                          So well planned that the staff and chief engineer both found themselves trapped in a lift and had to call the bridge for help

Although last time my ship blacked out - the only thing anyone was surprised about was that the emergency generator started all by itself (apparently theres a first for everything on Island of Scrap).

? Mark Twain

Comment

On most ships, if there's one thing you can be certain of in a blackout, it's that the Emergency Genny certainly won't start automatically!
                            Cue the 4/E or suchlike legging it up there in pitch darkness trying to flash it up, with the ship slowly swinging beam on to the swell...
                            Still, it's always worth a laugh when it happens late evening, the all Engineers call sounds, whereupon the black gang evacuates the bar en mass, some running, some stumbling and some being carried...

Comment

I think I'll always keep a head torch about my person
                              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Working...
                              X