Hoisting a Christmas tree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoisting a Christmas tree

I've just heard that in the good old days, hoisting a Christmas tree up the mast was common practice. Does anybody have any experience of this?

We used to hoist a cadet up there and leave them until New Year's Eve.
    io parlo morse

Comment

Did you know there is another radio person? You are now no longer on your own! See Hello Sailor thread, surprised you didnt spot it!

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
        We used to hoist a cadet up there and leave them until New Year's Eve.
        Was that in the days when once they were up there they only got Christmas dinner if someone went up to trim the Main Royal Sails?

Oooooo aaaarrrrr!

Ian
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
          Was that in the days when once they were up there they only got Christmas dinner if someone went up to trim the Main Royal Sails?

Oooooo aaaarrrrr!

Ian
          Remind me again. When were you at sea?
          io parlo morse

Comment

I believe they hoisted an xmas tree up Nellies mast last year, right above the main royal!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
            X