Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

COLREGS Constrained By Draft Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COLREGS Constrained By Draft Question

COLREGS Question

Power driven vessel, 4 points of your Port Bow, stbd nav light showing.
    Risk of collision exists.
    Action, Stand on with caution, sound 5 short blasts
    Risk of collision still exists and the examiner tells you this vessel is constrained by her Draft.

Option 1
    Because i have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
    Sound 2 short blast and Alter course to Port.
    Continue to Monitor until finally past and clear.

Option 2
    Because I have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
    Sound 1 short blast and alter course to starboard, parallel her course and reduce speed, to allow her to pass clear.
    Continue to monitor until finally past and clear.

Under Rule 18 I am to keep out of the way of Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and when complying with Rule 15 altering to Port and passing the stern is the correct action.

A vessel constrained by her Draft is not quite as straight forward as Fishing,Sail,NUC,RAM. Would I be correct if the examiner gave me a vessel constrained by her Draft from the beginning of the situation then first course of action would be to reduce speed early and allow sufficient sea room for her to pass ahead.
    But in the above situation I have missed the early opportunity not to impede her passage, is it now OK to alter course to port and comply with Rule 15 ?????

Under Rule 18 why is a vessel constrained by her draft different from Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and the actions required differ.
    Some people say it can be treated exactly the same as Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM when complying with Rule 15 but there is a difference which I cant remember and I would like to know 100 percent before saying anything to a examiner.

Consider this, is the 'Power Driven Vessel which is Constrained by her Draft' obliged to take action? Could she alter to starboard? How would that affect you if you went to port?

50m? is that 50 metres or 50 miles? Neither make sense.

Comment

LOL. examiner puts two wooden models on the table in front of you and gives you a collision situation as above and you explain everything to the examiner.

Then the examiner will show you the Light board which is much the same . Explain all information including fog signals, then action to avoid a collision.

The situation I explained is with the two wooden models on the table, dynamic situation

Also the above situation is not between two power driven vessels.

Comment

Rule 8f(iii) states that a vessel whose passage is not to be impeded is still fully obliged to comply with the rules.

Break it down to responsibilities, who is give way? Who is stand on?

With these factors in mind what action can you take other than slow down?

Hint: check the definition of CBD then have a read of rule 15

Comment

Originally posted by R1PHILL View Post
          COLREGS Question

Power driven vessel, 4 points of your Port Bow, stbd nav light showing.
          Risk of collision exists.
          Action, Stand on with caution, sound 5 short blasts
          Risk of collision still exists and the examiner tells you this vessel is constrained by her Draft.

Option 1
          Because i have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
          Sound 2 short blast and Alter course to Port.
          Continue to Monitor until finally past and clear.

Option 2
          Because I have missed my early opportunity to avoid impeding her safe passage.
          Sound 1 short blast and alter course to starboard, parallel her course and reduce speed, to allow her to pass clear.
          Continue to monitor until finally past and clear.

Under Rule 18 I am to keep out of the way of Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and when complying with Rule 15 altering to Port and passing the stern is the correct action.

A vessel constrained by her Draft is not quite as straight forward as Fishing,Sail,NUC,RAM. Would I be correct if the examiner gave me a vessel constrained by her Draft from the beginning of the situation then first course of action would be to reduce speed early and allow sufficient sea room for her to pass ahead.
          But in the above situation I have missed the early opportunity not to impede her passage, is it now OK to alter course to port and comply with Rule 15 ?????

Under Rule 18 why is a vessel constrained by her draft different from Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM and the actions required differ.
          Some people say it can be treated exactly the same as Fishing,Sailing,NUC,RAM when complying with Rule 15 but there is a difference which I cant remember and I would like to know 100 percent before saying anything to a examiner.
          DO NOT ALTER COURSE TO PORT - the CBD remains obliged to comply with the rules as a power driven vessel and will either;

+ Reduce her speed (By going to port you are turning directly into her)
          + Alter her course to starboard (Not likley since by definition a CBD is one which cant deviate substantially from her path) - but if she did you would also be turning directly into her.

Your actions are either;
          + Reduce speed / stop and allow her to pass ahead of me
          + Alter course to starboard & either pass ahead of her at a safe distance, or parallel, let her pass and go astern of her
          “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Rule 17 you cannot alter to port for a vessel on your port side. this is only between two power driven vessels.

Rule 18 Fishing sailing NUC RAM just have to keep clear, up to you how you do this, but complying with Rule 15 you do not cross ahead of another vessel.

This vessel is constrained by her draft.

Comment

Check the definition of CBD, it IS a power driven vessel.

If you choose to alter course it must be a bold alteration to starboard to parallel the course of the other vessel.

Comment

Rule 17 you cannot alter to port for a vessel on you port. this is two power driven vessels.

Rule 18 Fishing sailing NUC RAM just have to keep clear, up to you how you do this, but complying with Rule 15 you do not cross ahead of another vessel.
                To quote somebody else above;

What is the definition of CBD?
                Who is the give way and who is the stand on vessel in your situation?
                “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

initially i was stand on but as the situation has developed and now the other vessel is CBD its my duty to keep clear.

Rule 18 says i should not impede her passage.

Rule 18 Fishing RAM ARE still power driven vessels, just have to keep clear of them and when complying with Rule 15 can alter to port to pass their sterns, is CBD any different

Comment

Thanks got it

Many thanks

Comment

Rule 18 requires that you keep out of the way of a RAM, NUC, Fishing Vessel and Sailing Vessel - in these cases assuming you are a normal PDV you are always the Give Way vessel in open sea.

Rule 18 requires that you "if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid impeding the safe passage of a vessel CBD", take note that you are to avoid getting in its way, not that you are to keep out of its way, Rule 3 specifically states that a CBD is a power driven vessel for this very reason;

While you should not get in it's way, if Risk Of Collision exists you are bound to comply with the appropriate Rule as two power driven vessels; In this case Rule 15, which defines you as the Stand on Vessel and the CBD as the Give Way Vessel.

Under Rule 17(a)(ii) you will take action to best avoid a collision when it becomes apparent the other vessel is not taking appropriate action to comply with the Rules. Any action you take should take into account the action which is required of the other vessel (Rule 17(c)) - which as a PDV following Rule 15 is to take such action to avoid crossing ahead of you (basically, reduce her speed or alter her course to starboard).

Therefore the only options available to you are;

+ Reduce speed
                      + Alter course to starboard - you are permitted to cross ahead of the other vessel - the "avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel" part of Rule 15 applies to the Give Way vessel, which is the CBD vessel, not you.

(I've typed this quickly on my phone from memory so appologies if the rule numbers are wrong / it's not exactly whats written)

– Mark Twain

Comment

initially i was stand on but as the situation has developed and now the other vessel is CBD its my duty to keep clear.

Rule 18 says i should not impede her passage.

Rule 18 Fishing RAM ARE still power driven vessels, just have to keep clear of them and when complying with Rule 15 can alter to port to pass their sterns, is CBD any different
                        Don't confuse Part A and Part D of Rule 18 as 'avoid impeding' is different to 'keep out of the way of', and CBD is not included in Rule 18 Part A.
                        "If the wind will not serve,take to the oars."
                        Destitutus ventis, remos adhibe

Latin Proverb

Comment

Working...
                        X