Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Pens for Chart corrections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pens for Chart corrections

Yes Paper charts are on the way out.. BUT STILL when I join some ships, the Captain likes to use a selection of charts for reference only. Reason: some ENC charts can be displayed at a legal scale, however it looks like your ship is scraping the buoys... Anyway, please ignore this bit... you already know this.

Does anyone know where I can get good quality set of pens (black and magenta) in accordance with the UKHO specifics?

Thanks in advance.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Don't most people just used a fine-tipped black and purple gel pen?

Comment

If you want to spend lots of money buy a Rotring 0.1mm drawing pen and a bottle of magenta ink, that's what we used to have years ago when I was 2/O. Nowadays we use the below, they are not that cheap but are very good. The link has an offer of 3 for 2.

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PL00046/...ball-pen-blgc4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
        Don't most people just used a fine-tipped black and purple gel pen?
        Most do. But the size and quality matters. I believe it is a 0.15 mm Magenta pen to insert information and a 0.25 mm Magenta pen to delete information.
        "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
        "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertop View Post
          If you want to spend lots of money buy a Rotring 0.1mm drawing pen and a bottle of magenta ink, that's what we used to have years ago when I was 2/O. Nowadays we use the below, they are not that cheap but are very good.
          Rotring are really good, have used them before - not cheap at all.

Comment

Information should be deleted in magenta not black

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              Information should be deleted in magenta not black
              Yup thats true - don't know where black came from!

One would say it isn't Magenta either... Its actually violet

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22 View Post
                Yes Paper charts are on the way out..
                We manage vessels which still use paper as primary means of navigation, one of them is only 2 years old, so paper is not dead yet.
                Go out, do stuff

Comment

Still using paper as primary here too, but the vessel is quite old...What about ordering from your chart supplier, like Todds or GNS or whoever sends your NTM's... They should carry the standard 0.18mm magenta pens from NP294

Comment

Working...
                  X