Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Exam Resits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt247 View Post
    Hes supposed to be studying hard for his AS and mocks in about a month or so. Then he's going on a rugby tour to Hong Kong and New Zealand. After his results he's doing serious research. He's already been to Warsash and Fleetwood open days and going to Plymouth in a few weeks. At his school I think there is a lot of pressure to go to university. Trying to get a handle on this my self. No1 son is in the Army which is a familiar environment for me unlike this.
    Having put two brothers through university before starting my cadetship, if I compare them to friends in the marine industry, ships are a safer bet for a good future even given the current problems.

Comment

It was the same when I was at school. Because I did quite well in my exams I was expected to go to university and did so essentially by default even though I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Ended up dropping out of 2 courses because my heart wasn't really in it and wasting 3-4 years of my life before I started my cadetship. If I'd found out about this career earlier I'd probably have my masters ticket by now. Which would he nice! Most of my mates went to uni and are no better off than I am for it. I reckon unless you have a solid idea what you want to do and you know you need a specific degree for it, uni can often be a waste of time. Obviously the shipping industry is having a tough time just now so gotta pick your sponsoring company very carefully to have the best chance of a job at the end of it!

Comment

Noticed northern marine and fisher were at Fleetwood but not at Warsash. Can companies afford to stay way from Warsash on capacity grounds
        According to their own video Fleetwood have produced 7 out of the past 8 MCA cadets of the year.

http://www.blackpool.ac.uk/nautical/deck
        io parlo morse

Comment

Report on BBC website about children drifting into A levels then drift on to university with no real guidance.....blaming poor career advice as part of the problem. ...I can relate to this....career advice at school now virtually non existant

Comment

Report on BBC website about children drifting into A levels then drift on to university with no real guidance.....blaming poor career advice as part of the problem. ...I can relate to this....career advice at school now virtually non existant
            My school's idea of "career advice" was to sit everyone down at a computer and make them fill out a UCAS application form. I remember my form tutor hauling me into her office and giving me a stern talking to because I had applied to a university, and how my career choice would be "limited to flipping burgers".

..She then tried to claim that she was the sole reason why I managed to get a sponsorship. I shut her up pretty bloody quick!
            Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

My school's idea of career advice was 'here's your O level certificate. Now bugger off'.
              io parlo morse

Comment

Think I've already said somewhere that whats currently passing for "career advice" is BS. Have taken both my two brothers to the career / jobs expo at the local arena and recommend others to look for something similar near them.

Comment

Originally posted by JSTORM View Post
                  Think I've already said somewhere that whats currently passing for "career advice" is BS. Have taken both my two brothers to the career / jobs expo at the local arena and recommend others to look for something similar near them.
                  What is this careers advice thing you speak of?
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                    What is this careers advice thing you speak of?
                    My careers advice came from a judge "You can either go to sea or go to jail"
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                      Should have gone to jail. You'd be away from it all by now...
                      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                        Been there. Done that
                        io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                          Study.

Alternatively consult with your course tutor or student services or similar.

Incidentally, such occurrences were common when I was a cadet (not at Warsash admittedly)
                          previously some guys have had to wait until returning from sea to re sit stuff from the prev phase. that suits some coz they get plenty of time to prep - others would rather do it when its all fresh in the mind. some companies want there cadets to have cleared all resits before going to sea, so that means resits straightaway. problem is you have to treat everyone in the class the same.

Comment

Originally posted by asmith91 View Post
                            problem is you have to treat everyone in the class the same.
                            Theoretically yes, although when I was a cadet there were some people who got fired after failing certain subjects a couple of times and being told they weren't allowed any more resits and others who got given 6 or 7 resits and eventually passed.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                              Theoretically yes, although when I was a cadet there were some people who got fired after failing certain subjects a couple of times and being told they weren't allowed any more resits and others who got given 6 or 7 resits and eventually passed.
                              My understanding is that thats the difference between HND and FD.

Comment

Nah these were people sponsored by different companies, but in the same class (FD). Some companies are more lenient than others it would appear. Bizarre really as the people fired were at least as competent as the people who got lots of resits and subsequently qualified (after similar amounts of orals resits...)

Comment

Working...
                                X