Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food

I'm starting at Warsash in September this year (pending the ENG1) and am a vegan. Does anyone know if Warsash has a vegan menu option, also if anyone has any experience of being vegan at sea it'd be good to hear.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Robinson Crusoe View Post
    I'm starting at Warsash in September this year (pending the ENG1) and am a vegan. Does anyone know if Warsash has a vegan menu option, also if anyone has any experience of being vegan at sea it'd be good to hear.
    Thanks
    I would imagine they would at college, but you will probably struggle at sea.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'd agree, depending on the ship type, you could really struggle at sea. It can enough hassle on some ships to get anything other then bone curry/stew and rice everyday.

Comment

Yeah vegan might be an issue. Chicken is a food group at sea.

Comment

Yeah when you go to sea you are likely to run into issues unless you are on a cruise ship. I have only ever sailed with one vegetarian and never a vegan. That was on a container ship when I was a cadet. The cooks response to this was "ok they are vegetarian but they will still eat chicken, yes?" That wasn't as a joke, they actually didn't understand the concept of vegetarianism, it was completely alien to the culture they came from.

Comment

French don't always understand vegetarian let alone vegan. Had an experience where someone said can I have that without any meat at all, answer was its only got a little bit of ham in it so that's not meat, the waiter really couldn't get to grips with no meat however small amount meant no meat. It was a few years ago, they have improved in the bigger places of sometimes having a veggie option on a menu.
            I would expect for some cultures that they value of having any food at all as a massive plus, and to not eat something because of what it is never crosses their minds. It's the why wouldn't you eat it, its food, it's survival. First world is incredibly wasteful of its food.

Comment

As has been said it will probably depend on the ship type if it is possible at all. getting the stores on board is one thing and having a cook who is able to cook it is yet another.
              I sailed with a 3rd officer and he was lactose intolerant and just bought a pile of soya milk that hopefully would last out till the ship got back to the UK, it made it difficult to join overseas and did end up with him having cereal with water some mornings.

Good luck,
              you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Ah, I'll warn my sponsoring company off well in advance then. I can believe the chicken thing, I had a "Vegetarian" meal in argentina which consisted of watching my host pick the pieces of meat out of a stew.
                Thanks for the info

Comment

The Eastern European take on Vegetarians...

Comment

Im at Warsash now as a phase one cadet and there are a couple vegans on my course. Although the food choice isn't amazing they will cater for you - you just need to speak to the sodexo catering manager when you get here

Comment

Working...
                    X