Warsash Phase 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsash Phase 1

Any current phase 1's able to upload a copy of their weekly timetable at the moment?

Keen to get an idea of how many hours etc. you have...

Thanks

It's all a bit random at the moment, and depends if you're HND or FD, and how your maths is

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
      It's all a bit random at the moment, and depends if you're HND or FD, and how your maths is
      Going to be doing the FD.

Do you think there is enough time to get a part time job out of academic time? Nothing major, just 12 hours a week or something...

Comment

Originally posted by torres22 View Post
        Going to be doing the FD.

Do you think there is enough time to get a part time job out of academic time? Nothing major, just 12 hours a week or something...
        No. A guy in our phase got a part-time job at a pub down the road, he jacked it in after about a month because he just didn't have the time.

Comment

Not really. There is one guy who is a caretaker for Solent uni, but that's the only one I know of

Comment

You will probably find that it is in breech of your training agreement to have in any extra emplyment during the Cadetship.

Comment

Reading a bit about Warsash, can I ask how the shared accommodation works out? Do they usually try to match by age? Also, is it not a bit ridiculous to be paying ?100+ a week for shared accommodation or are these just southerner prices?

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                You will probably find that it is in breech of your training agreement to have in any extra emplyment during the Cadetship.
                Not always, I did it during college with another one of the Clyde companies. Provided you turn up on time and your academics are ok then I can't imagine it being a problem.
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Warsash is very expensive to live in, even off campus it was expensive I found... but I am from way North.

Unfortunately for phase 1 you sort of have to live there; makes getting to morning muster during the first 6 weeks much easier!

Comment

sorry maybecadet but your guns have to get used to it. Warsash is very damn expensive and its not that great. Even finding private accommodation is very expensive. You may end up in Southampton town renting as I did for phase 3 & 5 which involves a very early morning trek into Warsash. Definitely worth it though.

As far as a part time job is concerned, I don't think its an issue at all. As long as you know you'll be able to handle the work load.

Comment

The accommodation costs seem to be expensive everywhere, if you are at Plymouth there is no cadet accommodation, uni halls are let for the standard academic year and most are in ?120 plus bracket shared cluster flats, no food included either.
                      So anyone doing a first phase has to try and find somewhere that will rent for just the few months Sept to Feb not easy or pay for a whole year. It becomes more complicated if you get to find a sponsor late on as most accommodation is already booked subject to A level results by May. They do have accommodation help, and there are rooms to rent in private houses, some catered too, it's just difficult finding someone who would take a very short term student.
                      Second year not so bad at least you only lose out a few months by renting accommodation for a year. Found a studio flat ?99 a week which had heating Internet, included and free washing and dryer machines. Many required parental guarantees, or you have to pay the whole year in advance.
                      I did wonder if LJMU is the same?
                      I did briefly think sending him to live on a boat might be a good option, at least it could have been sailed home and I could have had something bigger to sail. No idea what will happen when he goes back sometime in the new year cross that bridge when we have an idea of any likely date seatime will be completed, and as everyone knows, you never do seem to have any dates in this career.
                      So being placed at a marine college does have benefits at least they do have short term options for cadets.

Comment

Working...
                      X