Warsash Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warsash Life

I'm not bothered about sharing a room really as long as it's with someone I get on with. It is a bit of a shame you have to live in halls as I'm sure I'm not the only older one who wouldn't mind getting a house or something that might be a little quieter.
    Do they by any chance put older cadets together or is it really just a lucky dip?

What I'm more worried about is something to do other than drinking all the time as I'm not a massive drinker. I'm sure people don't party all the time though.

Comment

Andy,

Most cadets in phase 1 live on-site since it's convenient and gives you a chance to get to know other people on your phase. I think there might have been one/two people in our intake who did choose to live elsewhere, but most companies at least prefer you to be in halls - that all changes in phase 3 where you can do whatever you like. However if you would prefer to live elsewhere it might be worth getting in touch with your company/Warsash to see if they would approve it.

Yes, I think there were attempts to put people together sensibly... though of course it is not guaranteed. If you really don't like the person you're sharing with then I guess it might be possible to move, but don't think you'll have that problem.

Don't worry about everyone going out and drinking all the time!! Warsash seems like it's in the middle of nowhere (it can be incredibly quiet), and although there are 3 local pubs (and on-site bar) not everyone goes there. Not everyone drinks - at least in our intake that wasn't a problem. If you want to go out and party then of course you can - but many others don't. Wouldn't worry about that at all!

James

Comment

Dont worry if I get in im 21 (classed as mature now :P) and dont drink much either!
        Forum Admin

Comment

@ James - What you have said is reassuring to know.

I hope I'm not coming across as some boring old guy. I'm up for some fun and all that of course. It's just I've done the whole uni thing already and it's been a while since that and I am somewhat use to the cushy existance of home cooked food and my own room lol.

Originally posted by hontoir
          Dont worry if I get in im 21 (classed as mature now :P) and dont drink much either!
          21, you youngun' lol. Seriously though it's good to know I won't be the only Gradad there.

Comment

I thought that 18-30 holidays had reconfigured the parameters of yoof about 20 years ago! They already extended vocational things up to 25 from 19 a while back.
            I think they should rename the category of 20+ year-olds as "adult student" (in that your age doesn't end in "-teen", so you're not a teenager). The term "mature student" makes me think of 40-something part-time sociology students for some reason.

(personally, I don't understand why anyone under 30 is allowed to vote! )
            Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Well I don't drink much either and I am not an older cadet. What else is there to do at Warsash? I read that there was a gym. Is it any good? What about sailing? Given sufficient time, can you join a club?

Comment

there is a gym, currently under refit, small and basic but does the job. I think what you will all find is that you will drink more at warsash because there is little else to do once your work is done. I am sure you could not do this but i havnt worked out how yet. As foe the "older" people i am 26 this week and dont really feel "old" for warsash. There is plenty of ppl around my age and older. Maybe this was as i am on a jan intake so dont get the school leavers etc. Accommodation is sh*te to be fair as is the food but we make the best of it and have a good time moaning! It is always a nice surprise when they rustle up something good for tea! Rumour has it new furniture will appear before sept so who knows you may be lucky with your rooms. I find shakleton to be a lot quieter than blythe so maybe that could be a heads up for you, but again it will just depend on where they put people from your intake. Any questions drop a line folks. PS at the min all you lucky ladies will be housed in shackleton away from us noisy gents in your own locked off area to protect you from us untrustworthy male cadets!

Comment

Since Southampton Solent University is now handling some of the Warsash admin, they are the ones who set sports activities. On wednesday afternoons we are timetables to have "sports rec" time, where you're supposed to join a club. However since we're not here all year round we're unable to play for alot of the solent teams. Tbh, you're best spending those wednesday afternoons studying, especially when the work load piles on.

The Gym is being re-ferbished, the watersports centre offers RYA sailing courses and powerboat courses. There is a sailing club down the river a bit in warsash. There's a couple of pubs and soforth but otherwise nout much else.

TBH there's little time for sports activities, less time in the later phases than in phase 1, best advice: get down the gym for a couple of hours (once they're done referbing it) membership is ?20 for a year.

To boldly go.....
                  Forum Administrator
                  OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Hi,I started at warsash in Jan 2010 im 27,it all depends on what your fellow pahse mates are like,for us we all bonded really well and do have some interesting drinking games but otherwise we work hard to get the results we need.

Comment

Work piles on in the later phases. I know the lecutuers make a point of saying "it gets heavier" etc but it really does =[

To boldly go.....
                      Forum Administrator
                      OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Rondomist, how well equipped is the gym? Is it a pokey little room or reasonably well-furnished? Is it on the Solent campus or Warsash?
                        sigpic
                        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

It was a little pokey room, but it's expanding now, since the refit it's going through.

The gym is on site at Warsash, it's a public gym so anyone can join which is kind of random. You get a discount though so it'll only cost you ?20 for a year, no idea what the public's price is. It's quite large and there is a good amount of equipment there. It'll be much better when they finish the make over.

To boldly go.....
                          Forum Administrator
                          OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my FD Deck-Officer cadetship in September at Warsash too, and must say that I've had the exact same concerns, as I'm a 32 yr old female who has lived alone for over a decade, and graduated from university 11 years ago. It's been a long time since I was a heavy drinking, partying, excitable teenager, and over the years I've become used to peace and quiet, cooking my own meals, and having my own space.

However, being a Deck Officer is what I really want to do, so I'm prepared to do whatever it takes, including sharing a room with another cadet, selling all my possessions and living out of a suitcase for a few years.

Its very liberating, in fact, to detach yourself from all the material possessions you've accumulated over the years, and to get back to basics.

Also, it's good for a person to get out of their comfort zone and learn to adapt to new situations. Living alone has its benefits, but the social skills and interraction which are brought out of you when you live with other people is perhaps more beneficial, particularly in the career we've chosen, where you're living at sea with others for months at a time. Warsash accommodation prepares us for that, so is something I will embrace, although it will be difficult to adapt to at first.

"Without change, something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens. The sleeper MUST awaken!"
                            (Duke Leto Atreides, Dune)

Also, I've been worried about noisy evenings at Warsash. I've become accustomed to peaceful and quiet evenings, and hope there will not be too many nocturnal drink-fueled shenanigans. Friday evenings and weekends are fair enough, but I hope this doesnt take place during the week when we all have to wake up early to get to our classes.

As for activities to occupy ourselves with during our spare time, well I have no worries about that. Having a gym on campus is a great advantage which I will make good use of. Also, having a watersports centre within walking distance is a fantastic opportunity to do some of their sailing and kayaking courses on the weekends, particularly as they offer discounts to students. I'll be sure to bring several books with me and my movie collection too!

Overall, I'm eagerly anticipating commencing the course in September, and am sure that where there's a will, there's a way to resolve any difficulties/problems that may arise in the transitional stage!
                            I Aear c?n ven na mar. (Elvish)
                            Ee eye-are kahn vehn nah mar. (Pronunciation)
                            The Sea calls us home. (English translation)

Comment

What sort of informal activities does the watersports centre offer? I mean can you take a dinghy out for a casual spin one evening or does it have to be a course? And as for kayaking, do they do any white water trips and such? Also can students help out with coaching? Im a level one canoe and kayak coach and should be well on my way to level two by the time I get to warsash (if I don't land up at plymouth), and I should like to keep up my coaching!

Cheers

Comment

I gave the watersports centre a call a few weeks ago, and they said that when you have completed sufficient courses, you can then take boats out for recreational sailing, and the same apllies to kayaks.

I think I'll be spending my weekends in September and early October doing as many sailing and kayaking courses as possible, before the weather turns horrid.
                                I Aear c?n ven na mar. (Elvish)
                                Ee eye-are kahn vehn nah mar. (Pronunciation)
                                The Sea calls us home. (English translation)

Comment

Working...
                                X