Warsash questions need to know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsash questions need to know!

Hi everyone so basically I?m starting warsash this September and need to know is it possible to prepare and cook your own meals as I only like to eat my own food because I?m very into working out and fitness in general so I need to know what I?m eating. Will there be a cooker and fridge in the accommodation for phase 1(I know one of the accommodations is getting redone before i start) to make my own food and store it safely. Also if there is will there be a place to wash up all the stuff I use to eat?

Lastly how many breaks are there in a typically working day because I eat around 6 small meals a day(takes 10 mins max to eat them) which hopefully I can make as I just asked.

Thank you for your time!

For the halls they were the standard catered job when i was there (but it was about 4 years ago) and there wasnt the option to properly cook for yourself, I doubt that will change much in the revamp, maybe someone whos a bit more recent will be able to tell you.

However you wont be able to cook for yourself on the ship, and other than at the main meal times it will be sandwiches and left overs.
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

To be honest you won't have the option of making your own meals apart from if you can microwave them or add hot water. i was there 2 years ago and it was just the same as it ever was.

And at sea, you can run the risk of asking the Cook to tailor make your meals, I however would rather ask if I could have an affair with his wife when I'm on leave.

Also some of the ships I've been on, and seeing the state of the meat, I've been glad not to know where they came from.

I'd wait and see what happens when you get there you may well find out you don't have enough money after rent to go out and buy all your own food.
      Cheers and ta

S

I wear my purple with pride
      http://www.antijanner.wordpress.com
      http://www.twitter.com/antijanner

Comment

Ah, you may have to double your whey and casein shakes and eat more tuna/cottage cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by seanyo_82 View Post
          Hi everyone so basically I?m starting warsash this September and need to know is it possible to prepare and cook your own meals as I only like to eat my own food because I?m very into working out and fitness in general so I need to know what I?m eating.
          If you can cook your stuff in a microwave then you'll be OK, if not I hope you like Sodexo catering!

Will there be a cooker and fridge in the accommodation for phase 1(I know one of the accommodations is getting redone before i start) to make my own food and store it safely. Also if there is will there be a place to wash up all the stuff I use to eat?
          There are microwaves, kettles and fridges in the common room, use your own risk, personally I wouldn't leave any stuff in the fridges. If you are in Blyth you may have the luxury of a sink in your room, not all rooms have them. There are sinks in the common room, again use at own risk! I bought a mini-fridge for my room and know of people that have brought normal fridges with them. It will be in you accommodation agreement what equipment you can and can't bring, they don't like you having any sort of cooking equipment in your room (i.e. toasters) and if found on accommodation inspections you'll get a warning.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the Shackleton accommodation refit to make the rooms any better then they are now, probably just be a like for like replacement of what is already there and a paint job. Saying that they are replacing the doors so maybe they are doing something more substantial????

Lastly how many breaks are there in a typically working day because I eat around 6 small meals a day(takes 10 mins max to eat them) which hopefully I can make as I just asked.
          Lectures normally run between 0900 and 1700. Each lecture period is 50mins long with 10mins allowed to get to the next class, if your in AJ and your next class is in DB then you will need a good portion of that 10mins to walk between buildings. Some lecturers are extremely intolerant of people coming in late. Lunch is between 1200 and 1300. Expect no free periods apart from lunch, that way when they do come you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Ahh thanks for replies! I guess you can't really bodybuild or even keep fit in general there then as nutrition is number one key and i refuse to eat anything except what i cook ohwell

Comment

I really don't know how you'll survive at sea!

Comment

Ahh thanks for replies! I guess you can't really bodybuild or even keep fit in general there then as nutrition is number one key and i refuse to eat anything except what i cook ohwell
                It depends on how you define keeping fit, theres plenty of people who manage it, but you also need to think about sea time, your going to be getting up at random hours and then eating whatever meal is on offer. there will be days when you cant get to the gym through work or weather and whilst on most ships the food is good, its not going to be what you would cook for yourself. saying that you refuse to eat stuff that you havent cooked, does raise the question of how well thought out this career choice is,
                you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

You sure this is the right career for you if you "refuse" to eat anything except what you cook? What you going to do on-board?

I also dispute you "can't keep fit in general" at college, there is a gym, okay food is not great, but its up you what you choose in the canteen and no-one compels you to drink loads.

Comment

If you refuse to eat anything but what you cook yourself, I very much doubt that you're made out for this career - the cooks do their best with what they've got.

Its perfectly possible to be healthy at sea and fit, not all of us choose to be, but it is perfectly possible to be fit at sea.
                    Last edited by antijanner; 30 July 2011, 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
                    Cheers and ta

S

I wear my purple with pride
                    http://www.antijanner.wordpress.com
                    http://www.twitter.com/antijanner

Comment

couldn't agree more with the comments that have been put, in this career it is clear that there are going to be compromises that have to be made, and this could be seen as one of them, to be honest though living on a normal uni student wage i'd be interested to see how you'd achieve your perfect diet. But anyway, you need to approach things openly and the same here, and if you refuse to eat food on a ship it's not going to give the best impression of you, I also understand that things aren't always typed as they were intended to sound, so it could be worded badly.

Comment

For me it wasn't a case of telling the cook "I refuse to eat seafood". For us, the food was laid out on a table and you took what you want, and the messman sort of noticed that I never took any fish or seafood when it was there. After that there was normally an omelete or something else easy to make there as I never wanted the cook to go out of his way for me. Bugger was busy enough as it was...
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

why dont u become a chef in the merchant navy then u can cook for yourself :P
                          "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
                          the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
                          the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
                          or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
                          start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

Problem solved! However there would be very little time for working out... poor chap

Comment

I dunno, all that lifting of heavy pots and pans...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
                              X