Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering with GP

Hi guys,
    I got my welcome pack and joining instructions from Warsash and with it a form to register with a GP at Lockswood Surgery. Can anyone tell me if it's a requirement or optional? I was kind of hoping to remain with my current GP.

Cheers

It is optional, however you will need to tell the student support office on arrival that you wish to remain with your current GP, otherwise they'll keep chasing you for the form.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Excellent. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
        It is optional, however you will need to tell the student support office on arrival that you wish to remain with your current GP, otherwise they'll keep chasing you for the form.
        Hi CharlieDelta,

Sorry, the info' in the WMA Pack makes it sound like its a condition to register with Lockswood Surgery.
        Any idea as to what the implications are if I don't Register there and instead say that I choose to stay with our Family Dr?
        If I require Medical Treatment or a Prescriptions at Warsash, could it pose a problem or cause delays ? While on the subject I don't know that my Dr. whom is already oversubscribed would be able to put me back on the books.

Thanks

Comment

A fair few people in my intake remained with their own doctors. You are still, of course, entitles to use local hospital services and walk-in centres but the GP at Lockswood will only see you in an emergency.

As far as I understand, it's a temporary registration, though you may wish to contact [email protected] - she's the cadet administrator and should be able to answer.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

A fair few people in my intake remained with their own doctors. You are still, of course, entitles to use local hospital services and walk-in centres but the GP at Lockswood will only see you in an emergency.

As far as I understand, it's a temporary registration, though you may wish to contact [email protected] - she's the cadet administrator and should be able to answer.
            Cheers, From what I can see you have yer work cut out on this labour of love answering our sometimes *+^"~~...Questions
            Thanks again

Comment

Hehe, well I set the site up to get answers to my questions when I started, just glad we can be of assistance!
              sigpic

Comment

Hehe, well I set the site up to get answers to my questions when I started, just glad we can be of assistance!
                Voil?! Subsequent to previous, I called the Surgery @ Lockswood (WMA), they said it's usual for Cadets to register there period; then I called WMA and was informed that it's entirely up to the individual and in the main it's for Overseas Students convenience, furthermore, apparently there is a walk in NHS facility whatever that means..

Comment

Given that for the bulk of the next three years your going to be in Warsash it does make sense to have a local doctor, however given that if your seriously sick your likely to go home and that you will be there during sea phases when your not on ship i would stay with the your current GP, as has been said the doctors will see you in an emergency so unless you require regular visits for a routine your not really gaining anything. However if you have anything uncommon in your medical history then its worth having your records as close to you as possible. So its really a swings and round abouts kinda thing.

As for over subscribed doctors, Are you going to be living there when you qualify? if not loosing it really isnt a big deal.
                  you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

As far as I understand, it's a temporary registration
                    We we're led to believe it would be a temporary registration but for all of my intake it was a full transfer to Lockswood, many have transferred back to their local Doctor.

Comment

Working...
                    X