Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 2021 FD Deck cadets - Warsash

Hi all!

I just got accepted to start in September 2021 at Warsash on the Foundation Degree route for Deck Cadet. I'm with SSTG and sponsored by MEF. Anyone else starting at Warsash in September? or with MEF & going to Outward Bound in August?

And to past or current cadets how long is the first college phase for FD? I can see loads of information on the HND/C route but not so much for FD? is it 27 weeks? Trying to organise some accomodation in Southampton

Also, I know MEF cadets will end up on a variety of different vessels, can anyone let me know what ships/ experience they've had with MEF? I've worked on Cruise ships for the last 4 years and excited to experience other types of Vessels!!

Certainly when I was there you were expected to live in college provided accomodation. Things might be different with it being in the city centre now, but I would have thought they still want you in halls?

Comment

They do have college accommodation but it is quite expensive and I'm seeing a lot of cheaper options if I rent privately, but a lot of these places expect you to commit to a 44 week tenancy so wouldn't be worth it if I'm only there for 27 weeks... just weighing up the pros and cons ?

Comment

Originally posted by JP1991 View Post
        They do have college accommodation but it is quite expensive and I'm seeing a lot of cheaper options if I rent privately, but a lot of these places expect you to commit to a 44 week tenancy so wouldn't be worth it if I'm only there for 27 weeks... just weighing up the pros and cons ?
        You may want to contact them and ask, as Inland Pirate has said traditionally all the colleges require you to stay in their accommodation for phase 1 - before committing to paying for other accommodation. If your looking at the normal Solent university prices these will be different - they have a specific area that is (or used to be) automatically reserved for cadets at a more appropriate rate.

Your still very early planning, the colleges will eventually send you a pack closer to start date

Phase 1 used to be Mid/End of September - Mid January, the college / university will have a list of approved 3rd party accommodation providers nearby. Thankfully phase 3 is easier at Southampton as there’s plenty of student accommodation and while you will end up paying for some wasted weeks, at least your at college for the majority of the traditional university year!
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Thanks! I have applied for the college accommodation so I'll stick with that for phase 1 then and look into private again when I get to phase 3 ?

Comment

jos was an MEF cadet so may be worth contacting for info on the company.

From previous posts it looks like they sailed with Seajacks, UASC container lines, Hanson Dredgers and Swire Pacific Offshore through the MEF.

What did you do on cruise ships before now?

Comment

Having used both Solent accommodation and private accommodation whilst at Warsash, I can't recommend this enough. It's about £50 more a month than the uni accommodation but it's clean, comes with a gym and cinema room (we absolutely rinsed the cinema space haha) and if you make it clear you're from Warsash they'll make sure you're in a building with other maritime people. I can't remember if they have Warsash dates available on the website, I think I had to contact them direct for that. Using Solent's student digs was just...bad. It was so expensive for tiny room and a really outdated building.

https://www.crm-students.com/student...capital-house/

Comment

Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
                Having used both Solent accommodation and private accommodation whilst at Warsash, I can't recommend this enough. It's about £50 more a month than the uni accommodation but it's clean, comes with a gym and cinema room (we absolutely rinsed the cinema space haha) and if you make it clear you're from Warsash they'll make sure you're in a building with other maritime people. I can't remember if they have Warsash dates available on the website, I think I had to contact them direct for that. Using Solent's student digs was just...bad. It was so expensive for tiny room and a really outdated building.

https://www.crm-students.com/student...capital-house/
                Thanks I'll have a look into this

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
                  jos was an MEF cadet so may be worth contacting for info on the company.

From previous posts it looks like they sailed with Seajacks, UASC container lines, Hanson Dredgers and Swire Pacific Offshore through the MEF.

What did you do on cruise ships before now?
                  That's really useful to know thank you! ? I was shop manager on Holland America! So this will be a very different experience ?

Comment

Former MEF cadet here.

Sent you a PM

Comment

Hi all, starting my Deck Cadetship at Warsash in January 2022, anyone else going?

Comment

Working...
                      X