How to get to Plymouth from Scotland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get to Plymouth from Scotland?

Now, I live up in the Scottish Borders which is 370 miles (as the bird flies) away from Plymouth. However, this is 460 miles by car...

I want to go down to the University of Plymouth during early August to look around, see what my accommodation is going to be like and also (if my results go horrible wrong- which I am sure they won't) be there to discuss some sort of agreement with them.

If I am going to travelling between these two points a lot, I thought I should find out the most efficient and effective method of doing so.

And after doing some research it looks difficult...

Edinburgh and Glasgow have NO flights that go to Plymouth airport. Would you guys suggest going to another airport and then getting a train to Plymouth?

Travelling by train isn't great either. All of them have changes at stupid times during the night, and the more convenient ones during working hours have something around 7 changes! If this was during the day I may consider it, but I don't fancy jumping onto several different trains whilst i am trying to sleep.

And as for the bus or car option... 8 hours in a car or bus? I think it is unlikely I could do that.

I am open to all ideas, but I will have to keep on a budget of course.

Thanks in advance.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Get a flight to Southampton or Bournemouth and then travel from there, since you are on the borders look at Prestwick too.

Comment

http://www.airsouthwest.com/

Comment

I had a look into it and it turns out travelling via Bristol is the best option. This is mainly because Easyjet go to Bristol, but not Plymouth or Southampton. Hence there is a difference of about ?100.

Also if I were to go to Southampton I would have to change trains, where as Bristol is direct.

Air South West state that there are flights to Plymouth from Glasgow, however not at this time. I checked to see if there was one in early September, there was only one and it cost ?207 for the flight alone.
        "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
        "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Comment

Personally I've flown down and travelled by train. Twice I've used Air Southwest Glasgow - Plymouth and once EasyJet Glasgow - Bristol and then the train through. The cheapest was the EasyJet option but if it comes to moving down I'd recommend trying to get a direct train from your nearest station if possible as the airlines are brutal when it comes to baggage fees.

Comment

Have a look at flying into Exeter. Its about an hour on the train from Plymouth but its still a lot closer than Bristol
            "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
              Personally I've flown down and travelled by train. Twice I've used Air Southwest Glasgow - Plymouth and once EasyJet Glasgow - Bristol and then the train through. The cheapest was the EasyJet option but if it comes to moving down I'd recommend trying to get a direct train from your nearest station if possible as the airlines are brutal when it comes to baggage fees.
              Have you managed to get a direct train from any Scotland station? I had a look, but non are direct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash View Post
                Have a look at flying into Exeter. Its about an hour on the train from Plymouth but its still a lot closer than Bristol
                Exeter is another good option, the only problem again is the cost. Again, around ?100 difference.

I have booked it already and have decided to go with easy jet via Bristol and get the train. I hope it all works out.

Comment

in the future, check newquay airport too as for some bizarre reason you can fly to glasgow from there, but not plym :/

but still, if its a budget issues, mega-bus ftw! :P
                  Sent using advanced stick technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22 View Post
                    Have you managed to get a direct train from any Scotland station? I had a look, but non are direct.
                    I have done, aye. Glasgow Central => Plymouth I've done a couple of times. Also had it booked once in the opposite direction but the snow meant that the train was cancelled which wasn't a great experience!

Comment

I maybe down in Plymouth around then staying with a friend so if you do go let me know what date we could have a look round together, I've been once already but I didn't look round alot

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        I maybe down in Plymouth around then staying with a friend so if you do go let me know what date we could have a look round together, I've been once already but I didn't look round alot
                        Give us a shout when your going down and i'll see what i'm doing. I might be going down anyway at some point in the next few weeks if the weather is bad.
                        "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Well I'll be going down next week sometime, I came back today. I'm helping my friend finish off his boat and then sailing for Brazil so I'll be down till he leaves probably early August, I may end up in Falmouth, but I have free train travel so its easy for me to meet up with anyone.

Comment

Hi Guys, sorry for the long reply - Called up BT to try and fix my router, but that was a week ago and they are yet to reply... And they are suppose a communications company? Stupid.

But anyway, I am in Plymouth - I got up at 4am this morning and arrived at 4pm. I'm here till Friday. I am also here with my Mum - she insisted in coming along. Also I will be getting my results Thursday Morning (Just before I see Dr Eccleston!) so I may be happy or extremely annoyed. It is up to you if you want to come along or not, but I will say my Mum is very embarrassing and there could be an awkward bit of tension if my results go wrong.

Comment

Yes when I was at college all the scots found the cheapest option was to fly, but Southampton airport is near to Warsash.

Bristol / Exeter and Plymouth airports are the only ones useful down that way. Bournemouth & Southampton airports involve cutting across Dorset. From Bournemouth you can't get to Plymouth by train without going to Southampton, and from Southampton you got a fair journey to get to Bristol, before changing to the correct train to Plymouth.

Once at college, the scots in my class did end up deciding a car full of them was a more viable option on the occasional weekend they went home. In the winter its alright to go through southwest by car, in the summer you want to stick to non-peak times for the final part of the jounrey, in august, night time after like 7pm really. Too many northern tourists and not enough good roads around Plymouth. Just take M5 all the way from Birmginham then follow the signs to plymouth at tghe end of the motorway.

Comment

Working...
                              X