Accommodation or no Accommodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accommodation or no Accommodation

While I realize im leaving this a little bit late to decide, I still cant make my mind up whether to stay at Dr.Winterbottom halls or to stay at home. I can easily commute and ive heard some rather bad things about the halls (dated, non en-suite, etc) and I think I may begrudge paying the ?110 or so a week. But at the same time im sure staying would help getting to know other cadets would be great due to support and general banter.
    Im in two minds on whether to see if I can get a place or not, has anyone got any pointers? experiences?

Help is appreciated.
    2/O Tankers

Watch out for big green boxes...

For phase 1 definitely stay in halls.
    You will make good mates and enjoy the nights out!

It is good experience staying away from home too, learn to use the laundry etc...

There being no en suite could be a taster for sea too, not all ships have en suite cabins! I have stayed in some very dated accommodation at sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      For phase 1 definitely stay in halls.
      You will make good mates and enjoy the nights out!

It is good experience staying away from home too, learn to use the laundry etc...

There being no en suite could be a taster for sea too, not all ships have en suite cabins! I have stayed in some very dated accommodation at sea.
      I agree, phase 1, stay in the halls. There was definitely a difference between those who commuted and those who stayed in the halls, tough to explain.
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Be aware if you're staying at home it has to be pre-agreed with your company before you start.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Living out and commuting wouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, if I were to stay in the Winterbottom Halls I could probably hang my head out the window and see why I am currently sitting right now. If I lived 20-30 minutes away, I'd probably live in, but the fact I live as close as I do is making me begrudge the idea of paying ?120~ a week.

Comment

I'm in the same boat flobbernoggin, especially having to pay ?750 up front (including deposit) puts me right off, but at the end of the day I think I'd miss out on a lot by staying at home. So I can kiss the majority of this months wages goodbye.

Comment

erm, well it all depends on where you live I mean if you can get to college on time and easily every morning from where you live, it's probably better to stay at home because you will have all that extra cash and nothing to spend it on. But, having said that I am a deck cadet at South Tyneside college and I will be in halls for phase 3 when I go back in september, so I will tell you a some handy information about halls. I found that halls is great for meeting people, I met loads of people and we have done stuff together like had block parties and headed out into newcastle, gone bowling in shields etc. Most of the people in my class were also in halls too so when it came to exam time, we all used the spare classroom near security where there was a white board and had group revision sessions which worked a treat for me and really helped. Erm there is free WIFI although it not the best WIFI you will find and if you don't have a laptop the computers in next to security at the entrance are free of charge to use, as are the ones in the college library 100 yards away. Theres a washing room with machines for drying as well which are only at the most ?1.50 to use, not that much if you wash your things in the right way. You are given ?7.50 a day which is loaded onto your meal card, and you pay for that service when you pay your ?490 a month rent. ?7.50 will get you your dinner in the canteen and one other meal and maybe a drink or snack or two, depends on how much you spend on your meals. The only catch is, the canteen is not open for evening meals at the weekends and is open from ten till 12 saturday and sunday so normally everyone goes and gets breakfast and buys snacks and drinks to take back to halls because breakfast is the cheapest meal you can buy I think, if you stick to the deals they have on. I don't know if your a rugby fan, but I play for South Tyneside College rugby team who train there on tuesdays and thursdays at 6:30 and play games home or away games on saturday afternoons. theres two teams you can join and there always giving a warm welcome to new players who want to join the team. Erm, The gym and Library, only yards away and the gym is great and cheap to join, theres plenty of books that are useful to cadets in the library too and you can buy various things you might need for lessons in the shop in there. The rooms are a bit bare in colour but the communal rooms are brightly coloured. The accomodation also gets cleaned every day even your room, providing that you leave it in a good state. about the halls being dated, yes they are old but I don't think that makes much of a difference. Hope that helped, drop me a message if you want more information.

ps. don't worry about not getting in or anything, last year I was only told a week before the course started that I was on the course, and I still managed to secure a room because with regards to room allocation, priority is always given to phase one cadets, hence why I asked my parents to book me in whilst I was on my sea phase in may because I will be phase three when I come back to college.

Comment

to add to that, the rugby training and playing pitches are right next to the halls, so you can go back to your room and use your block shower before and after training and matches and i prefer doing that rather than sharing the changing room with the lads, which is also on site may I add.

Comment

I'm staying in the halls anyway as I live 3 hours away but some good info there mate, cheers.
                  uk.linkedin.com/in/bjwmcgrath

Comment

No problem! I think I am in my old room in b block b24 so maybe if you get b block well meet

Comment

Working...
                    X