Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STC - Accomodation & First Phase (Sep 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STC - Accomodation & First Phase (Sep 2014)

Hey guys, I'm very very new to this and looking forward to being a part of the forums, but please let me know if I've gone about asking my questions the wrong way or if I should do it differently! cheers.

Anyway I've recently accepted my offer from CMT and sent off my forms etc.
    I'll be starting in Sep 2014 as an engineer cadet at South Tyneside College.
    My preferences are:
    1.Chevron
    2.Odfjell
    3.RCI

I'm going to be using the college accommodation and i'm aware that we pay for it etc. but do I have to get in touch with the college to use the accommodation or will CMT let me know what the script is?

And lastly say we start on the 8th of September how long usually is the first college phase until you start the first sea phase?

thanks guys!
    uk.linkedin.com/in/bjwmcgrath

CMT usually send you a load of paperwork before you start in September, with a Merchant Navy general guidance book and a STC information booklet with that information in. When I was there it was up to us to phone beforehand and reserve a room for the weekend before we started. First initial phase is around about 4 months, with an easing into the world of shipping and basic practical courses to complete (sea survival etc). Depending on your company you may have a gap between finshing the first phase and going to sea, or you may not. Be aware you have to pay a months rent for the halls upfront with a ?200 deposit within the first few days.

I think the going rate is around ?470 a month now there, but don't quote me on that as it was almost ?100 cheaper when I was there a few years ago. P.S. If you can, try and request a room thats not in G block, its the only hall block without recreation rooms on each floor, and was a lot less social than the other blocks.

Comment

Its 126 a week for catered halls i've been told. As far as i know my sponsors organising college, i assume stc will be in touch at some point.
      I've heard rumours that were not off to sea till about march but no idea how credible that info is.

I'm doing the engineering fd so i'll see you there.

Comment

ah right okay, do you know who your sponsor is then sarah?

and thank you both for the info guys!

Comment

The best way to get what you want with Clyde Marine seems to be by picking 3 companies which are similar. Those who picked 3 offshore companies got an offshore sponsor, those who picked a cruise line and two ferries got a cruise line or a ferry. Those who picked a bulker, offshore and cruise company got Zodiac...

If you're doing the HNC you will be going to sea at the end of April, that's how it was for me. So my phase 1 was about 7 months long - SQA diploma in shipping & maritime operations, workshop (turning and fitting) tuition, welding courses, electrical safety courses and basic short courses is phase 1 for a HNC engineer. If you're foundation degree then you head to sea a little bit earlier than April I believe.

Sometime in August you will need to contact Dr Winterbottom Halls to arrange your room, but the previously mentioned information pack from Clyde Marine will guide you on this.

I believe it's around ?500 a month now because they've introduced all these annoying "pay for your linen" rules. Good luck and have fun, and having lived in G block for 1 month... try not to live in G block!

Comment

yeah i suppose that there would be some reasoning behind the preferences. I haven't received my pack yet, or is that soon to come?
            but okay thanks for the heads up man.

Comment

No probs dude.

I seem to remember that the information pack came around about mid-August. I suggest if you have nothing by the start of August maybe to ring Clyde and ask... just incase.

Comment

yeah i only sent off my forms this morning so i guessing it could be a while yet!
                but yeah thanks for the info again bud.

Comment

I'm with Maersk. If you go on the stc website theres a bit more info on halls.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah View Post
                    I'm with Maersk. If you go on the stc website theres a bit more info on halls.
                    There used to be a facebook group for the halls, it may still be up, I can't say the comments people left were particularly postive though... There are also a few videos on YouTube if you search Dr. Winterbottom halls, however they appear to consist of some poor lad being bullied which is shocking I might report them to be taken down, I do hope those lads got kicked out the merchant navy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kraken View Post
                      There used to be a facebook group for the halls, it may still be up, I can't say the comments people left were particularly postive though... There are also a few videos on YouTube if you search Dr. Winterbottom halls, however they appear to consist of some poor lad being bullied which is shocking I might report them to be taken down, I do hope those lads got kicked out the merchant navy.
                      I'll check it out if I manage to find it man, but yeah to be honest most people will feel to the need to tell others about negativity rather than the positive stuff. I'm not expecting the Ritz by a long shot anyway haha, I'll crack on.
                      and yeah that does sound bad. That's the last thing cadets need when they're away from home!

Comment

I was in the halls last year. It was ?122.50 a week then but I think it may have gone up. I wont lie, its not great but I had some great times in the 6 months I was there. I was lucky though and was in a block with some decent lads.

It is also worth ringing the college to check you have a room before you start, I was informed my training provider would sort it all out, but when I rang the college they had no record of me. I would take the 5 mins to call and get piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratchet_Spanner View Post
                          I was in the halls last year. It was ?122.50 a week then but I think it may have gone up. I wont lie, its not great but I had some great times in the 6 months I was there. I was lucky though and was in a block with some decent lads.

It is also worth ringing the college to check you have a room before you start, I was informed my training provider would sort it all out, but when I rang the college they had no record of me. I would take the 5 mins to call and get piece of mind.
                          okay man, yeah I think i'll give them a ring in that case. Would you say that I should give them a bell even at this time or leave it a little later?

Comment

Wait until you're guidance information comes through from Clyde, informing you that you should ring them. They always treat phase 1's as priority as they know most companies make them stay in the halls for the first phase.

Comment

I cant remember what sort of time it was when I rang. But if when you ring your company hasn't yet sorted the accommodation the office will reserve a cabin in your name anyway. At least they did for me. There will be no harm in ringing up over the next couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                              X