• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is this your first year there?

Comment

Na, started in 2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was gonna fight for glasgow but with all the good press shields is getting I'll just forget it!
        The games are always, repeat, always, being played. But nobody plays the games like me. You just have to be the best.. And I usually am. Same rules apply.

Comment

How did the interview go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was just wondering with the halls does clyde automatically apply for one on your behalf as it is compulsory to stay in them. Thanks

Comment

Hi, I believe Clyde do sort the halls for you, however if you live close you can apply for exemption and remain at home. I commuted everyday as it was alot cheaper. Clyde pay 700 a month, its 500 a month for the halls.
              "Riches don't make a man rich, they only make him busier" Christopher Columbus

Comment

Hey, I will be starting in September aswel, offered sponsorship through Clyde Marine, really looking forward to it, I live local but will be using the college accomodations so if anyone new to the area needs information I'm more than happy to help

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_on_the_Bridge View Post
                  Hi, I believe Clyde do sort the halls for you, however if you live close you can apply for exemption and remain at home. I commuted everyday as it was alot cheaper. Clyde pay 700 a month, its 500 a month for the halls.
                  Just to clarify, unless things have changed radically since I stayed there in 2011, you have to stay in the halls for phase 1 unless previously agreed with your company. Also, it was up to us to phone the halls and reserve a room, Clyde didn't do this for us. ?500 a month is a crazy amount for what you get, in 2011 it was ?440 and that was overpriced! In phase 3 and phase 5 I was paying about ?380-?400 a month to rent a room in a house in Shields, and that includes bills and food.

Comment

I'm starting at South Tyneside in September as a deck cadet with Maersk on the foundation degree

Comment

Originally posted by The Kraken View Post
                      Just to clarify, unless things have changed radically since I stayed there in 2011, you have to stay in the halls for phase 1 unless previously agreed with your company. Also, it was up to us to phone the halls and reserve a room, Clyde didn't do this for us. ?500 a month is a crazy amount for what you get, in 2011 it was ?440 and that was overpriced! In phase 3 and phase 5 I was paying about ?380-?400 a month to rent a room in a house in Shields, and that includes bills and food.
                      Im a phase 2 cadet now and I was allowed to commute along with another cadet. The halls are overpriced. CMT did book me a room until I made the request.
                      "Riches don't make a man rich, they only make him busier" Christopher Columbus

Comment

As I said, unless previously agreed with your company. CMT must have changed thier policy then as we were left to sort halls ourselves.

Comment

Had an offer from Maersk and STC is my college of choice (yet to be confirmed!) I'm pretty local if anyone needs any advice on the area

Comment

Originally posted by andrewM
                            Any advice about writing a letter to CMT about not staying at halls, as I live just outside Glasgow and I could be at the college in 30 minutes by train every morning so felt no need to stay at halls plus save some money.
                            Are you sure?? 30 minutes by train from just outside Glasgow to South Shields? Maybe to Newcastle Central. Then Metro is 30 minutes to Shields (if it's waiting for you, they are at least 10 minutes apart) then there's the 10 minute walk to the college from the metro station.

Staying at college is part of the experience, if you can't survive without home cooking you might be in the wrong place!?
                            If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Originally posted by andrewM
                              Any advice about writing a letter to CMT about not staying at halls, as I live just outside Glasgow and I could be at the college in 30 minutes by train every morning so felt no need to stay at halls plus save some money.
                              Opinions and policies vary from company to company but I know most prefer cadets, particularly phase 1 cadets, to stay in halls at the college. Gets you used to being away from home

To boldly go.....
                              Forum Administrator
                              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

I'm phase 2 deckie with maersk at STC , unless you live locally I think most companies make their cadets stay at the halls. To put it simply the halls isnt exactly a palace but You'll have a laugh staying there if you make the most of it and don't just sit in your room rotting away!

Comment

Working...
                                X