Employment while at STC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment while at STC

Hi guys, just a quick question on employment while at college during Phase 1. I'm due to start in September and was just wondering if getting a part time job while living in halls is firstly possible, and secondly plausible?
    I'm only talking a few night shifts at a bar every week as i'm accessing my money situation and it seems like i'm going to be spreading myself very thin.

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I know of people who have worked while at college, though you may find you contract with your company precludes it.

If you're on the FD course you could consider student finance.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

To be honest, I never had student finance, I didn't have SAAS or any other form of support. All I had was the wages CMT gave me and I lived alright...
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Depends on the individual. I'm 23, with car finance, credit cards and financial commitments, living away from home for five years and no help from the bank of Mum and Dad, so the grant and loan I get this year willmake life much easier for me.
        sigpic
        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

If you can get a job there shouldnt be a real issue with the work load for a while although if its only a few hours a week it can get to the point of not being worth it. Some of the FD years are no longer long enough to qualify for student loan/grants either which sucks as they fall just under the weeks/year or what ever they judge it on
          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Strange - in Warsash Deck FD ph1 do Sept - Jan and get the payments as usual in Sept, Jan and April. My phase 3 is about 7 months (2 terms) and phase 5 is about the same if not a little longer (it's split into orals prep, orals and then HND units) and apparently there's no issues with the course being eligible.
            Last edited by CharlieDelta; 26 August 2011, 07:03 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Its not something that i looked into, just remember one of the many induction lessons explaining that the system had changed and as such the courses werent seen as 'full time' which they arent, although obviously if your doing longer phases then maybe that lifts it, or if you got in on the old system then maybe your fine.

As i say i really dont know but it would be worth a call to the companies/ colleges to ask rather than depending on it to find out that you wont get it, saying that i've had no issues with the amount of money but i wouldnt like to be trying to run a car aswell,

Comment

I was going to get a transfer with my work, though they couldn't because of when I can and cannot work, though I aint fussed, was just a wee idea for some extra cash you know, but since I won't be transfering, I just gotta watch what I spend more haha though less hassle having to work after college
                Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
                Adapt and over come
                Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I managaed fine in college working part time and I just figured it would make life a little comfortable seen as the bank of Mum and Dad is safely off limits. Im studying the HNC so a loan is off limits and I intend to travel home to see my girlfriend and my phone bill and just general living would cost more than the ?60 a week i would have to survive.

Tom

Comment

Where do you stay? if you scotland I could help with the travel as I have just changed car to a diesel for atleast until january 2012 and if i get tight I will sell it off to take that cost away and obv get the money on the car! but until then I am driving up to glasgow most weekends though its more likely your south bound haha
                    Adapt and over come

Comment

I'm keeping my job on for the first phase, had it all through my uni course and didn't affect me too much apart from losing a Saturday with Jeff Stelling and the boys. haha

Wether I look for another one in the third phase is a different story though.

Comment

I'll be commuting 2-3 hours everyday and running a small business in my time out of college...So I would like to think a second job is possible!
                        Luck......Preperation times Opportunity.

Comment

is that 2-3 hours each way? or in total i find the three hours up to edinbugh at the weekend enough wouldnt fancy doing it every day

Comment

I will be driving up and down and that will be enough at the weekends haha glasgow is about 3 hours aswell
                            Adapt and over come

Comment

Originally posted by stronglead View Post
                              I will be driving up and down and that will be enough at the weekends haha glasgow is about 3 hours aswell
                              I wouldn't be in a rush to get back here so often. haha

Comment

Working...
                              X