No announcement yet.

Travelling - How are you getting about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling - How are you getting about?

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question to the old hands who've made the journey before, or those about to start at STC next Sunday (such as myself) how you're planning to get there? I'm looking into two options really as I've sold my car (I wouldn't have been able to afford tax & insure it anyway on Cadet wages) which would be either to rent a car one way, or the train.

The train seems to be a good choice at 1st glance, with me being able to get the train from my local station, arriving in Newcastle Central via York at around 13:30, then I was planning to get the Metro to Chichester Station, which looks pretty close to the college, from where I'd either walk the rest of the way or get a taxi. Alas, Sod's Law would intervene to mean that there are engineering works on the 9th however, and consequently no Metro trains on that particular line that day.

Renting a car however seems problematic too, in that I'm probably looking at around the ?100 mark to rent a car, plus out of hours return fees, plus fuel possibly and having to return the car to central Newcastle and make my way from there.

Alas, I throw myself at the mercy of the collective knowledge of the boards, is there any other way I can get there?

Re: Travelling - How are you getting about?

when the metro is closed due to engineering works they run a replacement bus which takes 50 min rather than 30 on the metro. its a good 15 min walk from Chichester to halls so i'd suggest taking a taxi.

where are you travelling from? perhaps someone on the board lives nearby and is driving.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I got a train from Glasgow to Newcastle and Metro to Chi............... Its a pretty painless journey apart from the last stretch to the halls from the Metro Station.............. And even that is all good I found out that people had arrived on the Saturday instead of the Sunday, you could perhaps try and arrive the day earlier if the metros running?

Comment

I have actually arranged to rent a car, about ?80 pounds it'll work out at to rent it from the 12:00pm Saturday to 18:00 Monday, which isn't that bad really, and it does save me a lot of hassle getting there on the Sunday carrying bags etc.

Comment

I agree that it will save a lot of hassle, but does seem expensive, I hired a car for when I attended my RFAIB and that was ?140 for 4 days.
          Forum Admin

Comment

Working...
          X