X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martyboy
    replied
    Re: HMS Ark Royal Final Visit

From what I hear some people were turned away yesterday for it being too wet haha!

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Re: Arch Royal final visit

Originally posted by Brimbo
    I'm assuming there is no access to anywhere else except the main deck, was hoping to see the engine room
    I had forgotten how crap RN "ship open to visitors" is. On the smaller ships (destroyers/frigates) they limit it to upper decks only, though that sounds pretty much like all you are getting on Ark Royal. RFA let the visitors inside into operational and working spaces (bridge, ops room, MCR, etc). Fort Victoria attracted more visitors than whichever CVS was berthed next door at Navy Days (or whatever the event was) earlier this year.

Engine rooms however are not suitable for visits by large numbers of the general public. Your only chance would be as an invited individual or as part of a small group. Make friends onboard!

Leave a comment:

• Brimbo
    replied

Originally posted by Beef1992
    well what a wasted day that was pretty crap if Iam honest , walked up the gangway after Queing to go onboard , Went into the hanger bombarded by recruiters up on to the lift. Then onto the Flight deck looked at a sea king and a harrier then down the ladder on to the hanger deck again look at a merlin then off. took half hour to get on , looking around was 30 mins but the que to get off starting on the flight deck took about an hour in the rain
    Im planning to go visit it today since the weather wasn't the best yesterday! I'm assuming there is no access to anywhere else except the main deck, was hoping to see the engine room

Leave a comment:

• Beef1992
    replied

well what a wasted day that was pretty crap if Iam honest , walked up the gangway after Queing to go onboard , Went into the hanger bombarded by recruiters up on to the lift. Then onto the Flight deck looked at a sea king and a harrier then down the ladder on to the hanger deck again look at a merlin then off. took half hour to get on , looking around was 30 mins but the que to get off starting on the flight deck took about an hour in the rain

Leave a comment:

• Brimbo
    replied

Originally posted by Malim Sahib
    I'm sure I'll be labelled a pedantic sod for this, but nonetheless, it's 'HMS Ark Royal'.
    When referring to one of HM warships it doesn't do to refer to them as "the", they should simply be referred to as HMS XXXXXX with no "the" beforehand.
    im sure the archy royalo will not mint

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied

Pass the box of medals.....theres one for extreme pedantry in the face of in coming fire in there somewhere, might be under the Blue Peter one for spelling

Leave a comment:

• Malim Sahib
    replied

I'm sure I'll be labelled a pedantic sod for this, but nonetheless, it's 'HMS Ark Royal'.
    When referring to one of HM warships it doesn't do to refer to them as "the", they should simply be referred to as HMS XXXXXX with no "the" beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• Beef1992
    replied

Yeh going to head down tommorow , watched it come in this afternoon at the Marine training centre

Leave a comment:

• Brimbo
    started a topic HMS Ark Royal Final Visit

HMS Ark Royal Final Visit

The HMS arch royal is coming into port as I type this more or less, its here for 5 days though only open to the public for saturday and sunday( until tuesday i think ) and its the final time it will visit, very interesting for all marine cadets to have a ponder about
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11771176
Working...
X