South Shields

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Shields

Possibility I'll be heading here in September. What's the place like?

From my research it doesn't seem to be the most, er, 'cultural' place.

It is full of culture and a fascinating place if you like people watching, I recommend visiting the glitter ball, Scotia bar and mechanics pub if you want to find a proper local specimen. Also the area is full of lovely ladies who come in various shapes and sizes (disclaimer: normally size large and above and shape round)who would be very willing to make a young man such as yourself feel welcome. Unfortunately shields has recently lost its title as the UK chlamydia capital falling to 3rd place and being replaced at the top of the table by S****horpe. If you have any questions please ask away

Comment

One of the cheapest places to live in the country. Land of the £4 kebab and £350 rent.

I loved my time in Shields, and that comes from a posh boy from Buckinghamshire!

Comment

If you're looking for 'cultural' the merch possibly isn't the place for you
        io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier Ntcham View Post
          Possibility I'll be heading here in September. What's the place like?

From my research it doesn't seem to be the most, er, 'cultural' place.
          It'll be a good education, but it'll only slightly prepare you for the cultural experiences you will have at sea. Your parents will be proud when you come home with a 13 year old pregnant chavvy sanddancer girlfriend.

Comment

hahahah don't disrespect shields its really not that bad

Comment

Haha I appreciate the input,

Any opinions on whether living and commuting from Newcastle would beat good/affordable option?

Comment

Rent will be higher and you'd be looking at £100 a month for a 3 zone metro pass if you used that. A car probably more expensive than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier Ntcham View Post
                  Haha I appreciate the input,

Any opinions on whether living and commuting from Newcastle would beat good/affordable option?
                  Well I think the first phase you will be staying in the Halls of Residence, someone who has been through more recently will confirm if thats still the case. Occasionally people will live a little further afield but you'd be better off living in shields and if you want a night out or coffee in Newcastle to just jump on the metro and go whenever you like.

Comment

Living in Newcastle wouldn’t be a good idea, as your days are often filled with gaps where it’s a good idea to live nearby to go relax or eat. The furthest commuters we had were sort of like Jarrow way, but that’s half the distance.

Unless you’re looking to spend a lot (for a cadet wage) in Newcastle, it’ll be lower standard than Shields.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                      Well I think the first phase you will be staying in the Halls of Residence, someone who has been through more recently will confirm if thats still the case. Occasionally people will live a little further afield but you'd be better off living in shields and if you want a night out or coffee in Newcastle to just jump on the metro and go whenever you like.
                      Depends on the company and age on this one, P&O were quite happy for me to find my own destination for living, seing as i am 24 mind.... anyone under 18 upon joining the college has to stay in residence, and some companies require it for the first phase. myself i commute via car from north shields under the tyne via the tunnel, i find it costs me 50 quid a month cheaper to do so. but i was lucky to find a place.

in relation to shields, " cultural " is not something i would associate about the merchant navy, bar some of the interesting food combinations served onboard.
                      but all in all, shields is great, the college is good, the food is good, and the people are for the most part the most friendly and welcoming i have ever met, to the extent im thinking of moving up here permanently once qualified.

oh and try the chips at Quey side just over the river.... trust me.

Comment

ETO cadet starting September here. Looking forward to this. Hope it's not too Young Ones in the halls!

Comment

Working...
                        X