Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essentials

Hi guy and girls

I was wondering what in people opinions are the essentials to bring with you as the rooms don't look very big, just to be clear I don't mean clothes and things I mean like kettle, TV xbox or playstation ect...

I'd say you should try and avoid bringing such items to school

dorms are not the safest of places and no matter how rare and unlikely it may actualy be stuff like that does get snatched...

I know I wouldn't risk it... as a rule of thumb, if you can't bring it aboard a ship you shouldn't bring it to school either

entertainment-wise I would suggest a decent (not in terms of loudness!) set of speakers for your laptop and if you are into gaming I would also suggest a RAM upgrade!!! :-D

kettles and such utensils are a good idea to bring with but you should check with previous/existing cadets whether or not such items are already available there no need to burden your-self

keep in mind that it is only for a semester, next semester you are off to sea so it would pay to pack light!!!

edit:I don't actualy study there, so please feel free to disregard the above, just using common sense since I've lived in dorms before
    Do or don't, there is no try...

Comment

I would take your xbox. But insure your room that way don't have to worry about it being nicked.

Comment

Insure your room? You can do that, can you?

Comment

Google "student contents cover", there's a few different providers of contents insurance.

Endsleigh is a big one:
          http://www.endsleigh.co.uk/Student/P...insurance.aspx
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by Sgd View Post
            Insure your room? You can do that, can you?
            If you still live at home get your parents to check their policy. Many cover students away from home except for things like cash. That way you can save money. Also you will find that some campuses carry specific insurance to cover you whilst on their property up to a certain amount. I know Warsash used to.

Ian
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

This leads me to another question what are the essentials to take on board with you ?

Comment

This great article by Hatchorder covers just about everything.
                sigpic
                Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                  This leads me to another question what are the essentials to take on board with you ?
                  *slaps forehead and wanders off in his slippers mumbling about the youth of today*

*SIGH!*

^^^^ Do what 'e sez!
                  "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                  "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Remember if you have a television you'll need to be covered by a TV License, but you won't if you use iplayer on a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by geordie dancer View Post
                      you won't if you use iplayer on a laptop.
                      Unless you use it to watch live TV. So don't do that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                        Unless you use it to watch live TV. So don't do that.
                        If your laptop's not plugged in, you can.

Comment

Originally posted by TV Licensing
                          You watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - online, on a TV, or on any device (even a laptop) This is the case whatever device you use – whether a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, VHS/DVD recorder or anything else. It also includes programmes you watch online at the same time as they’re being shown on TV, for example live sport. (However, if your mobile device isn’t plugged in, you’ll still be covered by your parents’ licence.)
                          Haha that's brilliant, didn't know that. In saying that, my parents live in Ireland and I haven't lived there for seven years so I can't really say I'm using their license.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi Tiger,

I'm currently living in the halls so hopefully I can help

If you want to bring a tv that's fine, but there are no TV aerial sockets so you'd have to get a portable antenna. You can bring your xbox or play station also, but I found that I hardly ever use my 360 at college as there's so much other stuff to do.

You can bring a kettle for the room, & a mini fridge but nothing else in your room food utensil wise I.e no toasters. There is a communal food room if you need to toast or microwave anything.

The halls don't have a policy that I'm aware of. I find that I can leave my door unlocked though and have never had issue, only locking when out side the HoR.

Additionally, if your going to bring lots of electronic goods, bring some plug I multi sockets, as the rooms have at max 4 plugs.

Also bring a couple of coat hangers, though there are usually some in the wardrobe.

I hope this helps,
                            My Regards,

George.

Facebook Twitter

Comment

Working...
                            X