Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting at Fleetwood

Hey guys,

I just got my letter offering me a place at fleetwood for a Deck Officer FD in january, and wanted to just ask a couple of quick questions and see if theres anyone else starting at fleetwood then!

Shoot! We've got some current Fleetwood-ites about!
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

One of the more major ones is when we might actually start. Im currently sorting out christmas/new years plans and well... cant! lol. On a side note, I'm 6'10". How might I acquire a uniform that doesnt make me look like a complete tool

Comment

Originally posted by TallMan View Post
        One of the more major ones is when we might actually start. Im currently sorting out christmas/new years plans and well... cant! lol. On a side note, I'm 6'10". How might I acquire a uniform that doesnt make me look like a complete tool
        I don't think any of us have a uniform that doesn't make us look like a total tool. I mean, look at those white shorts and socks....
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Thankfully we don't have to wear that at college! All you need is basic uniform, so get a decent pair (Well, pairs) of black trousers, so go to where you'd get any other black work trousers, like M&S. Pilot shirts, try the interweb, they're available in a wiiide variety of sizes! (A fair few of the folks I've met in the MN are..well.... large!!) or you could go to one of the uniform suppliers, Miller Rayner is in Southampton, SM Bass in Manchester.... errr there are others I'm sure, but going to them for basic stuff can be expensive, go to them for the stuff you can't get elsewhere, like when you need to buy your own formal uniform etc. Don't worry about that stuff now though, cadets only need the basics, you might be told you need to get some extra stuff when you join a ship, (though if you do, try and get in touch with the ship and ask them! I ended up buying khaki uniform for no reason...) NATO jumper, again, try the interent! You'll need a black tie, and your company might give you one too. NATO jumper, again, try the interweb!

Oh and regarding your start date, it'll be the first week of Jan I imagine, usually is, the college will send you a letter, promise!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post

Oh and regarding your start date, it'll be the first week of Jan I imagine, usually is, the college will send you a letter, promise!
            It is quite worrying how little information is forthcoming though, 2 months to go and all the info i'm wanting on things like uniform, books, equipment is from this site.... phone clyde marine and they say they are still sorting out the sept intake... not very reassuring...

Comment

Relaaaax! The colleges are busy, there's a lot to sort out for new cadets and not that many admin staff to do it. And, that's kind of why CD set this site up!!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by innes1981 View Post
                It is quite worrying how little information is forthcoming though, 2 months to go and all the info i'm wanting on things like uniform, books, equipment is from this site.... phone clyde marine and they say they are still sorting out the sept intake... not very reassuring...
                This is standard for Glasgow, everything left to last minute. Basically what you will need, uniform wise, is:-
                Blazer (for first week and formal stuff),
                Black Trousers,
                White Shirt (doesn't need to be uniform style, any will do),
                Black Tie (you'll get issued a company one later, but the last CMT one I was given was odd),
                Black shoes,

Other than that some basic college supplies will also be needed (bag, pens, pencils, non-graphic calculator, etc). Everything else will be provided by either the college or CMT (safety gear and what not).
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

When i arrived in glasgow i had no halls and no diea where i was going, and look at me i turned out fine

dont worry about it in the worst case scenario that you dont find out til the last minute it wont be your fault, just make sure you keep a record of all information you recieve and date it.

I did this and was fine, fair enough your new to the company and the procedures but that doesnt mean that they can mess you about. Stand your ground if confronted but dont be rude, just honest and forthcoming about the issues you had.

That being said, you will probably find out at the start of december-ish... Get used to last minute information, i was told on friday the 3rd of sept that i was joining my ship on sat the 4th Just adds to the excitment!
                  "My Job"

It's not my place to run the boat
                  the fog horn I can't blow.

It's not my place to say just where
                  the boat's allowed to go

It's not my right to dock the boat
                  or even clang the bell

But let the damn thing
                  start to sink AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Comment

Thanks guys. Its good to at least have information from people here!

Comment

Hello all,
                      I'll be starting at Fleetwood 2012. So, Do you actually have to buy the uniform: ties,blazers,pilot shirts etc ? Because I thought the College/Company would provide that when we go there, and that if you do need to buy these then I'll start shopping before it gets too late. Please advice and Thanks you very much.

Comment

The colleges certainly don't supply uniforms, I always thought that companies did, but it's a few smokos since I was a cadet so things might have changed a bit since then!

Either check with your sponsoring company or if there are any current cadets on here with the same company they may be able to advise you.
                        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Who are you with AV?

Comment

Originally posted by AV04 View Post
                            Hello all,
                            I'll be starting at Fleetwood 2012. So, Do you actually have to buy the uniform: ties,blazers,pilot shirts etc ? Because I thought the College/Company would provide that when we go there, and that if you do need to buy these then I'll start shopping before it gets too late. Please advice and Thanks you very much.
                            Most probably. I presume you're a January starter, in which case you should have heard more from your sponsor by now; drop them an email.

Comment

You will need black trousers, black tie, white pilot shirts, NATO jumper, epaulettes, black shoes and black socks. Anything else is just trimmings! If you've not heard from your company by now and you're a January starter, I would get on the blower sharpish! They should have given you advice and instructions on this stuff by now!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Working...
                              X