Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

City of Glasgow January 2016 Starts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Glasgow January 2016 Starts!

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone else is due to start in January 2016 at City of Glasgow college?
    I will be starting as a deck cadet on the FD course with Chiltern Maritime/Maritime Education Foundation.

I have to live in the student accommodation for the first 6 months and I see they have shared rooms (2 to a room) which is a fair amount cheaper than a single room but I'm pretty apprehensive about who I could get landed with!

Cheers,

Eilidh

io parlo morse

Comment

That's interesting. when I started, Chiltern only used Warsash and Fleetwood...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post

Might be to do with the increasingly poor teaching at Warsash and the new college in Glasgow?

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post

No they they use others too.

Comment

I would try to avoid, the accommodation is brand new but I have already heard bad things about it

Comment

Will I hope they're not expecting quality teaching at Glasgow... The new building is excellent though. Friends have said the new accommodation is awful. Tiny. You can't even fit a folder on the desk they provide. Most have went into the old accommodation.

Comment

There are two chilterns in the PD engine class and 1 in PD deck. They do tend to be only MEF cadets though threw chiltern at glasgow. BP visited the college around a month back and seem quite interested in starting to send cadets there starting from 2016. Hopefully other companies might follow as it has really been made into an excellent college compared to the old building which was understaffed and no engine simulators.
                Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

The new accommodation has teaching issues but it has actually more space than the ones at fleetwood and south tynside when I visited. It comes with a small double bed and 6 shelf slots for folders which hold mine perfectly fine. All rooms have en suite and you are sharing a kitchen space with between 4-5 people. The views are also excellent. They do have a no alcohol policy which people don't agree with and they do ban PSN and Xbox live etc. Many of the original problems have been solved. Saint Luke's is a sh*7 hole, dirty old carpets worn out kitchen spaces and share with around 6 people. I wouldn't move back. The only bonus with Saint Luke's is that you can park your car.
                  Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Was quite impressed with the building when I did NARAS(m) start of October. There is still a select few half decent lecturers there, Dleep being one.

Comment

I currently live in the riverside accommodation halls at the moment and it has its ups and downs. It has an on-going problem with wifi, doesn't allow you to play xbox live or psn as previously mentioned, but browsing the web and streaming movies, I mean studying are fine! The main problem is that the halls share their internet with the college itself so I think that may be the root of the problem. The quality of the halls are top notch in my opinion. Im not sure about the other rooms, but i'm in a single room with an en suite bathroom and sharing with 4 other people and it's a fairly spacious room with a very ergonomic design. There is plenty of storage space under the bed, definitely enough to fit at least 4-6 large suitcases. The desks perfect in my opinion. Plenty of sockets, lamp and ethernet cable for wired internet. The kitchen is not too bad, you only get 4 of everything when there's 5 of us in there. Other than that is quite a good flat, cheaper than the prices I have heard for down south. Sharing with someone else I can't comment on, having to share a kitchen is just bearable enough when some of you flatmates are clatty c**ts!
                      Phase 5 Engine Cadet at City of Glasgow College

Comment

land rover is a messy bugger LM

Comment

Yeah chiltern don't send many to Glasgow. They don't use the HND course at all as they think it's poorly run but they were happy to send me to on the FD course athough I did have to request it as they were planning on sending me to fleetwood or Warsach.

Comment

Working...
                          X