Maths and Deck Officer Cadet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maths and Deck Officer Cadet?

I am hoping do start as a deck officer cadet in September 2014.

Maths has never really been my strong point although I have a standard grade at level 3 in maths. Which is enough to get me into the Clyde marine training programme for the HNC/HND course. So I was just wondering in the every day life of a 3rd deck officer how often is maths used / what kind of maths do I need to know?/how hard is it?

Thanks if anyone could help me and give me some pointers on the maths like what maths you learn on the course and what you actually use on the ship that would be great
    This is my dream and I don't want it to spoiled by my poor maths skills.

I have a 3 in standard grade maths and I have managed to get by. In phase 1 we spent 4 and half hours a week doing maths lessons at college. not nautical related maths, just maths You'll be fine. On ship you still use a fair bit of maths on the bridge, but your trusty calculator and formula sheet is always with you if you get stuck

Comment

Okay thanks that makes me feel a bit better about it thanks!

So everything you need to know about maths they teach you at the college? I also have a standard grade in geography at grade one 1 and am currently towards an A in higher and should have it by September,will this give me a little help with map reading skills etc?

Comment

We use charts in the navy and no, in my opinion geography is of very little help in navigation. The only advantage that you'll have is knowing what Latitude and longitude is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
          I have a 3 in standard grade maths and I have managed to get by. In phase 1 we spent 4 and half hours a week doing maths lessons at college. not nautical related maths, just maths You'll be fine. On ship you still use a fair bit of maths on the bridge, but your trusty calculator and formula sheet is always with you if you get stuck
          Do the maths lessons stop after phase one in your exspierence just nice to know if I would get the hard stuff done first and over with, also is maths heavily featured in your written exams

Comment

The compulsory maths does but at STC anyway they run maths classes on a Thursday night if you want to go

Comment

Originally posted by Martyboy View Post
              The compulsory maths does but at STC anyway they run maths classes on a Thursday night if you want to go

Okay sounds good thanks mate, i am probably over estimating the difficulty of the maths, yes? And if it does prove a challenge I will work hard at it.

Comment

Sometimes the maths is difficult, But you are being taught it day in day out, plus here at STC their is a lecturer on until 8pm every night so you can go along and ask for help there. I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest As long as, like you say you are willing to put the hours in if you struggle, you'll be fine

Comment

Working...
                X