Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone at Glasgow with the following companies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone at Glasgow with the following companies?

Viking recruitment
    SSTG
    Chilitern Maritme
    Bibby
    BP
    Carnival and client companies
    Princess Cruises

I have applied to all of them for September and was wondering if anyone knew how long it took for them to get back to you? General experience and any other knowledge you could offer?

Originally posted by Jordo View Post
    Viking recruitment
    SSTG
    Chilitern Maritme
    Bibby
    BP
    Carnival and client companies
    Princess Cruises

I have applied to all of them for September and was wondering if anyone knew how long it took for them to get back to you? General experience and any other knowledge you could offer?
    Have they not already finished recruiting for September?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I don't think what college you want to go to really matters at this stage. I am at Glasgow with SSTG but didn't get to the stage of choosing colleges until after my interview, so if you are at pre interview stage then it doesn't really matter. Not to mention the fact that some companies won't give you a choice of where to go.

Anyway, when I applied I got an e-mail (or maybe it was a phone call I can't remember) offering me an interview within about a week. But I have heard vastly different time scales from other people and I think it depends on a number of factors (number of places, number of applicants etc) as to when they will get back to you. I did apply to several of the other companies on your list, some of them didn't even have the decency to get back to me at all! But I guess they get thousands of applications.

How long is it since you sent your application? No harm in giving them an e-mail or phone call to check its progress. Although as GuinessMan says, I think some of these may have finished their recruitment for September. But I think they would still look at your application and just put you in the January/next September intake if they were interested in you.

Comment

Just keep applying their are many more companies out their.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
          Have they not already finished recruiting for September?
          No, I checked beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
            I don't think what college you want to go to really matters at this stage. I am at Glasgow with SSTG but didn't get to the stage of choosing colleges until after my interview, so if you are at pre interview stage then it doesn't really matter. Not to mention the fact that some companies won't give you a choice of where to go.

Anyway, when I applied I got an e-mail (or maybe it was a phone call I can't remember) offering me an interview within about a week. But I have heard vastly different time scales from other people and I think it depends on a number of factors (number of places, number of applicants etc) as to when they will get back to you. I did apply to several of the other companies on your list, some of them didn't even have the decency to get back to me at all! But I guess they get thousands of applications.

How long is it since you sent your application? No harm in giving them an e-mail or phone call to check its progress. Although as GuinessMan says, I think some of these may have finished their recruitment for September. But I think they would still look at your application and just put you in the January/next September intake if they were interested in you.
            Thanks again, when ever I am reading a post on this site it is always your name that keeps popping up giving the best and most detailed answers haha!

It wasn't too long ago, it's just when I applied to clyde they were very fast on getting back to me. I suppose all companies must be different.

Comment

Clyde reqruit alot moe than most that's part of why they're so quick.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                Well Glasgow would be really ideal for travelling home at the weekends, I don't think I could accept a sponsorship anywhere else.

I understand that I have to meet their requirements but in a way they have to also meet mine. This way I won't be wasting anyone's time.

Comment

Haha no problem, this site wasn't around when I first applied so I always like to try and give out a bit of advice that I never had when I was starting out.

You might find that a lot of the companies don't bother getting back to you but to be honest Clyde are alright. Most of my mates are with Clyde and they've got their good and bad sides like with any company but you will end up with your ticket at the end of it and that's the main thing.

Regarding going to Glasgow, I can only speak for SSTG, but I was asked where I wanted to go at my interview and they had no problem putting me at Glasgow. I can confirm that most of the cadets at Glasgow are Scottish so I don't think it should be much of a problem getting a place there, certainly with Clyde if that's who you end up with. Other companies may be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    Clyde reqruit alot moe than most that's part of why they're so quick.
                    What do you mean?

Comment

Clyde is the biggest training provider for cadets. Something like half the cadets out there are Clyde cadets. Other companies might only recruit a handful a year so they won't be as quick getting back to you. When I was on my first sea phase i got an invite for an interview from another company. I think they just pile up CVs till their looking for cadets.

What happened when you applied for clyde?

Comment

I can confirm what Lewis says. I got a reply from Maersk inviting me to an interview about 10 months after I sent the application. I was almost finished phase 1 by that point!

Comment

When i was at fleetwood open day a couple of weeks ago most companies said they wait until after the final open day ( warsash ) and then give it a couple of weeks for final applications to get in and they then start a paper sift and decide who will get interviews etc.. so most companies will be at this stage around about now so maybe expect some thing in the next couple of weeks. I hope its good news for you anyway !

Comment

Well Glasgow would be really ideal for travelling home at the weekends, I don't think I could accept a sponsorship anywhere else.

I understand that I have to meet their requirements but in a way they have to also meet mine. This way I won't be wasting anyone's time.
                            A lot of companies like to send cadets away from home. That way if they can handle being away from home for a few weeks at a time, they're more likely to manage being at sea for four months with only email contact. I think saying that you will only go to Glasgow and nowhere else because you want to go home every weekend will severely impair your chances. Also, it concerns me that you're so reluctant to be away from home. Have you really considered the nature of the job (i.e. months away from home at a time with limited contact)?

Comment

Be aware that some companies have preferred colleges and will only send cadets to them. From your list I know at least 1 of them do not send cadets to Glasgow.
                              ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
                              X