Phase 1 - accommodation opt out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase 1 - accommodation opt out?

Hi, had my interview with CMT today (I shall hear back in a few days by letter whether I get in or not, but fingers crossed). Anyway, the interviewer said that if accepted I am most likely going to be attending GCNS.

I am 26 (27 in Oct) and live in Glasgow. I have had my own flat and have been out from under my parent's feet for a good few years now. At the moment I live with my girlfriend which I have done for about 3 years, and we live about 10 mins from the college. I also drive and know Glasgow inside out. Now, when I thought I was going to end up in Warsash or Fleetwood I didn't have a problem with the idea of using campus facilities but is it absolutely compulsory to stay in the student accommodation if I live in Glasgow and attend a Glasgow college, have my own place, have my own transport and also taking my age into account?

I will be honest in saying that if I have to stay in the halls of residence then I would only be using it for the bed. I would probably leave college, spend some time with the girlfriend, or my friends in Glasgow, and jump back to the halls for the curfew. So, are their exceptions? any one heard of or know anyone who has managed to dodge out of phase 1 accommodation?
    "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Re: Phase 1 - accommodation opt out?

Aw right? How did it go?

I emailed CMT with the same question a while back (I’m 24) and here was the reply:

“We require all under 18's to stay within the Halls of residence, as you are over 18 you can request in writing to [your] training officer to live out with the halls.”

I think there is at least one sponsor company with CMT that requires Phase 1 cadets to stay in halls, no idea who though…

From the email I got the impression that it’s usually not a problem to live out with halls providing you agree this with your training advisor and you don’t get a company that requires you to stay in halls.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I think it went ok...but could have went a bit better. For example, when he would ask for half a dozen current affairs things in the news i only managed 3 before my mind took a total blank. Same went for listing the responsibilities of an engineering officer, only managed to get 3 or 4 and took a brain meltdown. Nerves got the better of me. However I got there 15 mins early, dressed smartly, gave a good handshake; all the usual techniques and did manage to answer a good chunk of his questions in full. Anyway, I should find out by Friday.
      "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

Yeah, it shoudl be fine with CMT not to stay in halls, about half my class, that are with CMT commute, some from about 30 miles , and others had a mess up with CMT booking them accommodation, so ended up in having to get a flat in the city, which they preferred anyway.

If as was said by an earlier person you are required to stay in halls, go for self catered, that way there's no curfew, and it's en-suite, a far nicer room, and more freedom.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys, appreciated. BUT, Clyde said no.
          Oh well, back to the waiting game with BP.

Comment

You will find that most colleges want you to stay in accommodation so you get used to living away from home.
            It was worth the shot, on the plus side living in halls will help you make new friends

To boldly go.....
            Forum Administrator
            OfficerCadet.com

Comment

I stayed in halls the first time i went to uni. Am looking forward to the experience again although I worry about being surrounded by seventeen year olds. Probably best just to buy some ear plugs and hope your liver is ready for some punishment.

Comment

Randomist, that only really applies to people that haven't lived out with home, a 26 year old with their own flat has clearly lived away form their parents for a while, so the halls don't really give them any benefit, and a fair few cadets are able to stay at home, at least with clyde anyway

Comment

It will be the final decision of the companies and the colleges. I am aware that some companies insist on living in halls in phase 1.
                  True, a 26 year old woman has clearly lived away from home. The college should be able to take individual cases into advisement

To boldly go.....
                  Forum Administrator
                  OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Im with Clyde Marine and currently on my sea phase. Just to let you know that you do not have to stay in halls, half of my class last year lived in glasgow or just outside so they just commuted. Furthermore, some lived in halls but ended up moving out after a month. The only time you will be made to live in halls is if you are not performing to the standard(failing exams). Hope this helps, anymore questions jsut give me a shout!

Comment

Originally posted by DOROTHYOFOZ
                      The only time you will be made to live in halls is if you are not performing to the standard (failing exams).
                      This may be the policy of one college but certainly not at all of them. Since you have to pay to live in halls it is not possible for the college to force you, companies may decide to make you live in halls, but only if they pay the accommodation.
                      I know some companies insist on halls for a time, but they pay the fees, or some of it at least. Mostly you are free to come and go as you please.
                      Academic under-achievement is not really punishable this way.

To boldly go.....
                      Forum Administrator
                      OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Working...
                      X