What’s Glasgow and the college like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s Glasgow and the college like?

Hi all I will have to relocate from south Tyneside to a different college for my cadetship. I’ve asked to go to Glasgow.

Just wondering what it’s like, as in things to do as a cadet in the city and also what’s the maritime campus like there.

Thanks jordan

Hi Jordanwhitt. I done a years Pre-Cadetship there and have a lot of positives to say about the college, compared to my impressions of STC unfortunately.

In terms of the Riverside Campus (Maritime Campus), it's a new building, under 5 years old, with good facilities, located pretty much right in the City Centre, right next to the Clyde, though it's in a rough as **** area! P.S just kidding, the Gorbals is absolutely fine nowadays.

In terms of things to do for a Cadet, Plenty! Nightlife is excellent, swimming pool is 2 minutes away from the college, plenty of gyms etc etc. I wish I was back up there but company tells me where to go and I go

You'll love it mate, just don't piss off the weegie women, they tend to be rather feisty ha ha!

Comment

Hi my friend thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond.

Whats tour our impressions of STC?

Ive asked to go to Glasgow because of the building and the fact it’s a nice big city for me to explore. I’d rather there than Fleetwood or Southampton.

Anything else you would like to add?

Thanks Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Jordanwhitt View Post

Ive asked to go to Glasgow because of the building and the fact it’s a nice big city for me to explore. I’d rather there than Fleetwood or Southampton.

Thanks Jordan
        Honestly, you've probably picked the best overall maritime college in the UK at the moment in terms of all round pro's.

As far as STC is concerned, lecturers are knowledgeable and great but the management and administration of the courses regarding timetabling changing at the absolute last minute with classes getting cancelled and being put on without even being told, or misleading timetable information, put a downer on things. Plus I prefer the city feel to a small town vibe, but that is just me!

Also dealing with the Non-Marine side of the school will make you want to tear your hair out at their incompetence. It's honestly a bit of a joke and hilarious if you didn't have to actually peruse their services! Apparently it's quite infamous among past students from what I've heard and it seems like it will never change lol.

But I don't like being too critical. STC is a fine maritime college with a long and proud history (one of the oldest in the world!) and for anyone reading and thinking of coming, you'll be just fine here. These are just little annoyances; treat it as part of the cadetship learning experience! I'll say that the cadetship really is about what YOU put into it. Don't let anything get in the way of your dreams and you'll be ok

Comment

Originally posted by Jordanwhitt View Post

Thanks Jordan
          As a cadet at fleetwood, i would say Fleetwood is allright college. It location dose let it down
          Check out my blog
          lifeonocean.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
          X