Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Living in Glasgow

Hi all,
    I have a few questions, as I am soon starting at Glasgow, to do a HND/HNC Deck Cadetship with CMT, starting in January of 2019.
    1. - When do i get any info from the College, (I Got accepted 3 days back)
    2. - When does the Uniform come, and should I buy an extra copy from CMT?
    3. - How far does £175, out of which £120, goes towards living? (Particularly around food, something my parents have been really fretting over)
    4. - Do you get a chance to preview the College, or is there no chance now?
    5. - How do others feel about CMT, as I have seen some mixed opinions?
    Cheers for the advice, and sorry in advance as I am sure that someone would have already asked this in the past.

1) back in 2015 I was given my joining instructions maybe around a month before starting college.
    2) uniform will arrive at some point within the first week of darting college so the first few days just were smart trousers and shirt and tie.
    3) If you aren’t too keen on going out partying every weekend then the money can give you an alright standard of living. Your sea phase will help add a bit of money to your college phase if you save at sea. Aslong as your smart with your money and budget an allowance every week you will be fine.
    4) if you attend an open day, I think there was one yesterday or today then it will give you a chance to see the college however apart from that then no.
    5) I was with Clyde marine and tbh the training officers are spot on it really is just dependent on your sponsor/ your experience at sea. Even the best of companies do not automatically garuntee a good sea phase. It really just depends on the attitudes of the officers at sea but like everywhere there will always be one a**hole.

hope this helps

rob
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Thanks
      Alsoo, do we have to sort the accomodation out or do CMT do it on our behalf?
      cheers

Comment

You will have to arrange yourself. Just contact the city of Glasgow college accommodation and they will send you an application.
        Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

1. - When do i get any info from the College, (I Got accepted 3 days back)
          Gotta say, CMT were a bit late sending out instructions to start at college... I was living in a private flat but from what I understand people were really scrambling to get into Halls. Just make sure as soon as you get the letter, don't rest! Get in touch with the accomodation service. They are helpful.

2. - When does the Uniform come, and should I buy an extra copy from CMT?
          They turn up on one of the first days with nice grey bags full of boiler suits that don't fit, shirts that go a bit funny when you wash them and solid plastic work boots. Wear shirt/tie until you get your uniform - I bought my own shirts (any army/navy surplus you can get epauletted (?) shirts for a reasonable price. That said, plain white under the jumper is going to be fine too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. - How far does £175, out of which £120, goes towards living? (Particularly around food, something my parents have been really fretting over)
          I spent a lot of money... The CMT Training Allowance was not enough for me - I took a student loan too. It's doable if you really watch yourself, and make sure you apply to the hardship fund - it isn't means tested and lots of people I know got some cash.

4. - Do you get a chance to preview the College, or is there no chance now?
          If you get in touch with the marine department then I'm sure there will be no problem showing you around. They like to sell the place...

5. - How do others feel about CMT, as I have seen some mixed opinions?
          Every company has their ups and downs. As a rule, people who had a bad experience with them are likely to be much more vocal than those that had a not bad/good experience. I thought they were perfectly ok. They don't hide anything about the way they work - you should be aware that you might not get the sponsor of your choice...
          The training officers are firm but fair, don't expect them to pander to every need/request when you are at sea. The engagement from other companies is a lot higher, the TO's are frequently in touch when you are at sea - with CMT they tend to just get you there and you won't hear a thing for months on end.

At the end of the day - going to sea is what you make of it. You aren't stuck there forever, and you will change as a person and in general leave being better equipped to deal with bull****. CMT generally don't help much with getting you a job - the companies they represent often just aren't interested. But work hard and do well, I've seen them give lots of help to those that deserve it.

Good luck!

Comment

Cheers for all of the answers.
            just one thing more, do Clyde pay at the beginning of the months when you start or at then end of a month (dont know how to financually prepare)
            cheers

Comment

The end

Comment

Cheers, thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Working...
                X