GCNS Accomodation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GCNS Accomodation

The curfew only applies in the catered halls, where most of the folk are under 20 anyway. There are quite a few people in their twenties but all of the ones I know either stay in St Lukes (self catered) or at home. So yeah if you are 25 I would definately go for St Lukes.

Comment

Hey man, I was 25 when I started last Sept and am one of the oldest here but there's a few around my age. If you're 25 I would suggest going for St. Lukes self catered. You get a decent room, single (sometimes double) bed, ensuite, built in desk and wardrobe - all fairly modern and looked after.

The name 'Alcatraz' for catered halls is no understatement - The rooms are pretty small and from what I've seen run down. You get a sink but have to use a shower shared by god knows how many folk and there's only so much curry a guy can eat.

It's also worth considering looking at a private lease. I know a lot of the companies insist you stay in halls, but a quick call to them seems to change there mind - one of the older guys has his own flat just over the bridge.

Originally posted by Lewis
      I'm 25 start glasgow in september if I stay in halls or self catered will I be the only guy my age there?

Comment

What about cost I had a look at there site but there is no mention of it. Also said they have 8 rooms in catered accomodation for mature students with ensuits and seperate dining anyone have any expeience of these?

Comment

The 8 rooms in the catered accomodation are alright, I stayed in them for one night. Still not as good as St Lukes though. I belive they are usually used for qualified officers who are at the college for training. I think you would only get seperate dining if you were an officer, and I think they try to avoid putting cadets in those rooms. The most annoying thing about them is the lack of a desk. How exactly they expect you to do any work I'm not sure. There is a small ledge which is about wide enough for an A4 piece of paper but that's it. Good luck getting any chartwork done.

Seriously, self catering is the way to go. I'm not sure on costs as my company pays. I think they are about the same but St Lukes obviously works out more expensive because you have to buy your own food. However when taking into account the standard of the food in the catered halls that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

No desk? Thats just stupid were they built as something else origionally then converted to be halls?

Comment

St Lukes is 10 pound a week cheaper, than the catered accomodation, though as said, the rooms are much better, and the food in catered isn't great anyway

Comment

How much a week is it tempest?

Comment

it's about £90 a week, whereas alcatraz is £100 or so, I'm with SSTG though, so haven't really paid too much attention to the cost.

If you're with Clyde, a few of the cadets in my phase got flats within the first few weeks of starting, from what I gather SSTG insist on halls for the first 6 months, to prove you can live with other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                    No desk? Thats just stupid were they built as something else origionally then converted to be halls?
                    HMP Gorbals.

Comment

Is that a joke Steve or are you serious. Price seems a bit high. I used to live in edinburgh and thought rent there was high but £90 a week works out at 360 a month. Didn't relise glasgow was so pricey. Does that include gas, electricity, telphone internet etc

Comment

It's a joke, but I might as well be serious.

You could rent a 1 bed flat for £360pcm but it's more cost-efficient if you share. You can get a very nice 2 bed flat in Glasgow for c. £500pcm.

Try http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent.html or GSPC.

Comment

Glasgow isn't too pricey, but student halls are, though yes the rent prices include all heating electricity and internet bills, though the internet is quite restricted from what I gather.

As for flats, I haven't looked for a few years, but generally in Glasgow if you're getting a multi-bedroom flat, you're looking at about £250-£320 per room per month, so for a 2 bedroom flat it will tend to be about 5-600 a month, whereas a 3 bedroom flat will be about 750-900 a month etc...
                          That doesn't include bills, though internet and electricity split between 2 or more people shouldn't cost anything near what the halls do.

But like I said, dedicated student accommodation is always a rip off, GCNS isn't even the worst of it in Glasgow.

One thing though, is depending on your company, you may be required to stay in halls for a certain amount of time, I've heard different figures ranging from 1 month, to 6 months, from the entire first phase, though it also seems some colleges also insist on you staying in their halls, as being able to live with strangers without creating conflict is necessary for being on a boat with strangers.

Your best bet is to have lots of questions for perspective companies, I think those that pay your accommodation are the ones where it's more difficult to get a flat, as it's more convenient for the companies to just pay the college as opposed to having to set up direct debits to random landlords, as well as working out how much they are willing to pay you for rent. But from what I've read on this board, if you're old enough, you can generally talk yourself out of halls.

Also, as mentioned earlier, a few people in my class stayed in halls for a week or 2, then got flats, so this could be an idea, just depends how much you trust your judge of character. Living in halls with lots of people you have only just met is one thing, but living in a 2 or 3 bedroom flat with some people you've only known for a month is another.

Comment

I have now been accepted for sponsorship through SSTG with North Star for september intake and am waiting for my confirmation Letter but i no that i will be attending Glasgow in september and they wish for me to stay in the halls for the entire duration of my cadetship
                            [center:ytwwp52g]work at something you enjoy and is worthy of your time and effort!![/center:ytwwp52g]

Comment

Originally posted by tempest
                              Living in halls with lots of people you have only just met is one thing, but living in a 2 or 3 bedroom flat with some people you've only known for a month is another.
                              Not much different to the self-catered flats at St. Luke's, except that you've self-selected your flatmates.

Comment

Working...
                              X