Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COLREG Confusion

Hi all

As the title suggests I'm a little confused about COLREGS.

Do we need to know every rule word for word? Or can you know what every rule means and be able to explain it in your own words?

The 3O (Russian) on my ship told me we need to know the rules word for word. I understand Russia has a different system.

Could anyone explain?

nah, just need to know how to apply them

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan View Post
      Hi all

Do we need to know every rule word for word? Or can you know what every rule means and be able to explain it in your own words?

The 3O (Russian) on my ship told me we need to know the rules word for word. I understand Russia has a different system.

Could anyone explain?
      You will be expected to be able to recite specific ones near enough word for word during your Orals if they come up, as your college lecturers will have advised.
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

How far does your sense of professionalism extend? There are some specific parts (ie, 8f, 17a, and the requirements for small, sailing & fishing vessels in 9 & 10 etc) where the exact wording and your thorough understanding really counts.

It will not hurt your professional development to learn 1-19 verbatim, and have a very thorough understanding of the rest. If you want to delve into understanding them fully you cant go far wrong with Paul Boissier's book, and then if you're still piqued, Cockroft & Lameijer.
        Superyacht OOW
        SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
        Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

The primary focus is understanding and correct application, followed by knowing the rule titles and numbers. Learning word for word the steering and sailing rules will help you substantiate your answers in an oral.

Comment

Yep, concur.
            Superyacht OOW
            SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
            Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

How times have changed, when I did my orals if you didn't know rules 1-19 word for word in your oral you failed. Especially Rule19..

Think about it this way, if you misquote it in your 'own version explanation', you might change the meaning, and if you think you are right in your misquote, you might end up doing the wrong thing in a traffic situation!? Or worse, do nothing expecting someone else to do something..

Learning them the right way now will make sure you get them right for the rest of your career at sea. Even my wife remembers the rules after helping me revise them for orals!
              If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertop View Post
                Even my wife remembers the rules after helping me revise them for orals!
                io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan View Post
                  Hi all

Could anyone explain?

My Lecturers say that it is easier to remember them once you have applied them at Sea.
                  ~Con Affetto
                  ~Abdul R. Rafiq

~It's your dream! If you want it to happen, Get your butt up and make it happen. If you want it to happen, Rise and Grind.
                  ~

Comment

I'll memorise them word for word then. I wasn't against doing this it's just I heard some people in my class say that it wasn't required. Thanks for all the answers.
                    Last edited by Leviathan; 9 March 2015, 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Agreed! I also recommed Cockroft & Lameijer, its thanks to that book that i finally understood rule 8f!

Comment

8f is a perfect example of why you need to both learn the rules word for word and know what they mean.

Being able to repeat this rule parrot fashion is quite obviously not a demonstration that you know what to do in a situation where you are required not to impede the passage safe passage of another vessel, however, it would be very hard to explain what the rule means and how it is applied with regard to the other rules to which it refers without being able to quote it word for word.
                        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
                          8f is a perfect example of why you need to both learn the rules word for word and know what they mean.

Being able to repeat this rule parrot fashion is quite obviously not a demonstration that you know what to do in a situation where you are required not to impede the passage safe passage of another vessel, however, it would be very hard to explain what the rule means and how it is applied with regard to the other rules to which it refers without being able to quote it word for word.

And here was me thinking all engineers did was sit in their hole, drink tea and steal all the biscuits from stores... On a serious note what you said is spot on. I had a lecturer who used to make exactly the same justification using that rule as there is not a single word there that can be removed without changing the meaning.

Comment

Job one, know how to apply the rules.
                            Job two, know how to explain why you made a decision. Doing this by quoting the rule properly demonstrates both understanding in application, and understanding that the specific words in the rules actually matter.

Comment

Working...
                            X