Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of Derrick in Operation

Dear all

I have started doing my EDH and was taught about Derricks in detail. So having never worked on a ship with Derricks, I went on youtube to see if there are any useful videos about the same. All they have is about Derricks used in offshore whereas I need to know about Derricks with pulleys and blocks system !

Does anybody have any good video about that ? Or know where to find one ! Thanks

Tom

Originally posted by TomAlex View Post
    Dear all

I have started doing my EDH and was taught about Derricks in detail. So having never worked on a ship with Derricks, I went on youtube to see if there are any useful videos about the same. All they have is about Derricks used in offshore whereas I need to know about Derricks with pulleys and blocks system !

Does anybody have any good video about that ? Or know where to find one ! Thanks

Tom
    The only place you will see union purchase derricks on ships these days is in a maritime museum. Why it is still in the syllabus is a mystery.

Here is a website with some info:

http://forshipbuilding.com/ship-machine/cargo-gear/

Comment

Marlin Spike - Thank you for the reply. You are right. None of the guys in my class have ever seen a derrick in operation or even on any ships ! Its a mystery as to why we still have to learn when it is not being used anywhere still.

I had asked the very same question to lecturer and he told me they are considering bringing derricks back to ship as they do not require much maintenance and also can be stowed and kept after use thus saving space onboard.

Now I can see problems with this explanation important being the number of people required to operate derrick as opposed to crane. But that is an explanation and I did not probe further !!

Thanks for the link. Now thats the closest we can get i guess !

Good Day

Comment

I saw a ship with derricks off the coast of South America once, and only once...

Sent from my HUAWEI G525-U00 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X