Officer Perks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Perks?

Do us officers in the making get any perks when we qualify? being bumped up to 1st class or rumoured citizenship to certain nations?

Re: Officer Perks?

Don't quite follow...

Your flights to and fro between ships will surely depend entirely on your employer and their own policies as well as probably your seniority (if you have any). So I suppose the short answer is probably "no".
    You're not going to get any discounts on your personal transport are you! I'm not sure if even the RFA dish out MOD rail passes, especially in the current climate.

Originally posted by McGoober
    rumoured citizenship to certain nations
    I've never heard such a rumour... I can't imagine any country offering citizenship purely on the strength of you passing your MCA Orals!
    Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by McGoober
      Do us officers in the making get any perks when we qualify? being bumped up to 1st class or rumoured citizenship to certain nations?
      No, but you get the amazing perk of being held responsible for anything that goes wrong!
      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Oh, life at sea.
        That's the life for me.

Comment

Once high enough up the food chain you also get to be responsible for the non-delivery of spares, the missing 100k from the budget that "the office" forgot to tell you they had already spent on your behalf, lack of pens, pencils, toilet rolls etc.

In days of yore, 2.5 stripes and above got 1st class rail travel, BUT now a days, you get to pay for it then claim it back so most just take "whatever is cheapest".

As for air travel, most companies use "seafarer tickets" which are limited by airline and very very very cheap therfore consider yourself lucky to be INSIDE the plane and not strapped to the wing!!!!! These tickets also attract tax relief and alsorts of other company accountants perks not related to us!
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

If you work on cruise ships, is it common practice for family and friends to get major discounts on cruises?
            I Aear c?n ven na mar. (Elvish)
            Ee eye-are kahn vehn nah mar. (Pronunciation)
            The Sea calls us home. (English translation)

Comment

RFA's can sign up to the defence discount directory

Although not all discounts apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy
                As for air travel, most companies use "seafarer tickets" which are limited by airline and very very very cheap
                So you won't even get a choice where to sit with that?! It's a wonder they don't bung you on a pointy star cargo plane!
                Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by nemo
                  As for air travel, most companies use "seafarer tickets" which are limited by airline and very very very cheap
                  So you won't even get a choice where to sit with that?! It's a wonder they don't bung you on a pointy star cargo plane!
                  No such thing, pointy air was sold years ago though seems to be listed occasionally as an asset.
                  You can get a choice of seats just like you would normally and so depends when you check in, if you can check-in online etc etc, just you can only chose to sit in cattle class and not cattle plus, or business.

Boxboats alow family to sail with most ranks once/year so long as you dont go over the LSA number, operational constraints etc.....Currently any ship transiting the Gulf Of Aden have no family memebers due to security risk etc.
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by rennells
                    If you work on cruise ships, is it common practice for family and friends to get major discounts on cruises?
                    It varies by company, how long you have worked for them and rank...

Most will allow you to bring your partner / significant other onboard to stay in your cabin for free (for various lengths depending upon ranks). My last company allowed direct relations (such as parents etc.) to travel for $10 per night (subject to space, cruising area and rank).

I believe most shipping lines (cargo included) also allow this.
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

ah well, thats a pity!
                      Since I've decided on this career path I've had so many requests from friends and family to try and "sort them out" with discount cruises. I guess i'll have to wait and see what my particular company offer their officers.

Thanks for the responses
                      I Aear c?n ven na mar. (Elvish)
                      Ee eye-are kahn vehn nah mar. (Pronunciation)
                      The Sea calls us home. (English translation)

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo
                        Depends on airline, despite being ridiculously cheap tickets you do get some perks normal cattle class don't - such as being able to select your seats online as soon as you get the reference number through - some even let you select emergency exit rows :-) You quickly learn where the best seats are to select depending upon what type of plane you are on (I prefer front row near a large door = lots of leg room).

You also get your extra baggage allowance (some airlines refuse to give you extra baggage unless you have a seafarers ticket as well as your discharge book).

They also tend to be flexible tickets - which from our point of view means nothing, but from companies they can change your routing or cancel it up to until the point you get on the plane!

I've also noticed that occasionally you get more BA miles / Diamond Club miles with them than if you were normal economy

? Mark Twain

Comment

Seafarer tickets are generally full fare flexible, so get the max miles/points available for whatever loyalty programme the airline has. I remember doing Gib flights with 50% seafarers, all of which ordered kosher meals 'cos you get more in them! We did like having seafarers/military/police etc in exit rows though because they've usually had some form of safety and crowd management training.
                          sigpic
                          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

They might be full face value, BUT the company gets a HUGE rebate from the local friendly taxman

Though KLM /AF have reduced the loyalty points to 50% for seafarers tickets
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

So if your company books and pays for your flight, does that mean that you as the passenger are eligible for the airmiles?

I did a round the world trip last year and didnt claim 20,000 odd miles from Quantas so I've a lot of catching up to do!

Comment

Working...
                              X