Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between "operations" level sea-phase and "management" level sea-phase? Warsash FD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between "operations" level sea-phase and "management" level sea-phase? Warsash FD.

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the "operations" level sea-phase, and the "management" level sea-phase on the Warsash deck FD.

I'm going to guess that the "operations" level is essentially grunt work - chipping, painting etc with the occasional watch on the bridge (supervised, of course) - and that the "management" level is more time on the bridge, learning how to effectively manage both the ship and crew?

Thanks in advance,
    Mr, Mrs, Miss & Ms Stealth.
    Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Eh? Say again over, sea time is sea time...you need "x" for your certificate as per TRB etc etc
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
      Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the "operations" level sea-phase, and the "management" level sea-phase on the Warsash deck FD.

I'm going to guess that the "operations" level is essentially grunt work - chipping, painting etc with the occasional watch on the bridge (supervised, of course) - and that the "management" level is more time on the bridge, learning how to effectively manage both the ship and crew?

Thanks in advance,
      Mr, Mrs, Miss & Ms Stealth.
      You're a cadet! You don't manage anything or anyone....
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

You mean I don't get to boss people around from the word go? Well, that is a disappointment. I was quite looking forward to being in charge of the chief mates "Alcoholic beverage procurement division" too..

I'm aware that the main reason for the sea-phases is to fill the TRB up, I'm just curious as to why Warsash labels the first sea-phase as "operations" level, and the second as "management" level - and whether the phases are actually different from each other in regards to what training you receive. And yes, I'm aware that both phases will probably involve me getting very closely acquainted with Mr Needles, the ships friendly needle-gun.
        Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

it's just Warsash making stuff sound funky and management friendly, all sea phases the same, watch keeping, trb's etc, some tasks are better suited to later sea time once you've worked out which end is forward etc, but otherwise....keep calm and carry on ;-p
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
            I was quite looking forward to being in charge of the chief mates "Alcoholic beverage procurement division" too..
            Depends on who you're working for that does. Still not sure we could trust a cadet to do it though...

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Not sure of how they are wording it but normally OOW= Operational / Chief Mates and Masters = Management level this may be the case if they have given you a timetable which is many years long
              Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

If this is the FD course it could be referring to operations level which is level 4 of the degree and level 5 is the chief mate and master level that is covered at college. You still get the OOW certificate and what you do at sea is the same as everyone else. I'm at the end of my phase 3 now and we are learning master and chief mate level work or management level stuff as we have already covered the OOW level.

Comment

Working...
                X