Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparation for College Phases

Hi everyone,

I am starting at Glasgow College in September with CMT, studying Nautical Science(HNC/HND) and training to become a deck officer. I am really excited and eaget to start.

Was just wondering if there is anything I could do to prepare for my college time to try make it a bit easier on myself, I have obviously well researched my role as a cadet and the duties I will be expected to carry out. But I was wondering if it was worth while going into more detail and if I could be practising my math skills, researching specific areas of the course etc.

So if anyone has any tips and could give me links to good websites, recommend books, even links to SQA papers( is it worth while looking at them or will I just confuse myself?) or anything would be greatly appreciated. I just figured I should try spend my time between now and September wisely and all this seemed a good option.

Thanks
    Andrew

Originally posted by andrewM View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am starting at Glasgow College in September with CMT, studying Nautical Science(HNC/HND) and training to become a deck officer. I am really excited and eaget to start.

Was just wondering if there is anything I could do to prepare for my college time to try make it a bit easier on myself, I have obviously well researched my role as a cadet and the duties I will be expected to carry out. But I was wondering if it was worth while going into more detail and if I could be practising my math skills, researching specific areas of the course etc.

So if anyone has any tips and could give me links to good websites, recommend books, even links to SQA papers( is it worth while looking at them or will I just confuse myself?) or anything would be greatly appreciated. I just figured I should try spend my time between now and September wisely and all this seemed a good option.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Start learning COLREGs word for word & saving up cash!
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

We have a book recommendations thread stickied in the aspiring cadets forum, its only got a couple of books on it so far (HINT HINT folks!!). Brush up on your GCSE maths skills and CHILL OUT FELLA! You're about to launch into 3 years of hectic intensive learning, go on holiday, spend time with your family, hug the dog, if you really want to be doing something productive get a part time job and save up a bit (you'll thank me for that one later). Enjoy life for a bit, make memories and take pics of them too, it'll make your cabin so much nicer when you're stuck on a ship in the middle of no-where!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Thanks all really great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

buy a scientific calculator (ideally casio) and have play wit it. Makes your life so much easier if your not trying to find the right button on your calculator as lectures teaching you something.
          If your really keen get some flip cards http://www.flipcards.co.uk/products/...t&id=1&reset=1

Comment

Size 4 summed it up for me........... You go to college to learn things, no need to learn things before you start learning things

Comment

Working...
            X