Chart abbreviations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chart abbreviations

Hi everyone. I'm a phase 1 deck cadet and been working on a chart work assignment. All straight forward but can't seem to find an explanation for the abbreviation of 'Rubha'

I know Ru is Ruin of some sort but this is all one word and can't see anything in Chart 5011, looked at index, glossary, all the seabeds and my good friend google but can't find anything.

Can anyone tell me what Rubha is or where to find what this abbreviation means?

Thanks.
    http://desdons.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @desdons

Can you post the full question?
    If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

6. With reference to British Admiralty Charts, what do the following
      abbreviations and terms mean?

a. Ldg
      b. Rubha
      c. PA
      d. ga.M.sm.st
      e. Co
      f. Sy.v.Oz
      g. Chart 5011

The only one I can't find is Rubha

Comment

Originally posted by desdons View Post
        Hi everyone. I'm a phase 1 deck cadet and been working on a chart work assignment. All straight forward but can't seem to find an explanation for the abbreviation of 'Rubha'

I know Ru is Ruin of some sort but this is all one word and can't see anything in Chart 5011, looked at index, glossary, all the seabeds and my good friend google but can't find anything.

Can anyone tell me what Rubha is or where to find what this abbreviation means?

Thanks.

I know that Rubha is a Scottish Gaelic word for headland or point on the coastline. I could be way off here but just a thought...
        Twitter: Scotty_2410

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
        William Arthur Ward

Comment

Yeah I speak gaelic and the translation for Rubha is point but can't find anything in Chart 5011 - just wondering if it's a typo in the question!

Comment

It's a place in the Scottish Islands. Does this paper by any chance correspond to an admiralty chart of the area in which case it could just be referring to a place name?

If that chart isn't part of the paper then, expecting you to know that is a bit unfair.

Never heard of it as a chart abbreviation though and if you say it's not in 5011 then place name is all I can think it's meant to be.
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

It's not associated to a particular chart. Just a general thing using Chart 5011. I've given up and not wasting any more time on something I don't think actually exists!

Comment

The mariner handbook has a list of terms commonly used in charts and publications. So it might be in there.

Also sailing directions have a list of local terms used in the area of the book. So worth checking thoseas it might be a bit of a trick question to see if you can find it.

Comment

It's not associated to a particular chart. Just a general thing using Chart 5011. I've given up and not wasting any more time on something I don't think actually exists!
                  I think you miss understand - I assume the question is from an SQA paper? Thus there will be an admiralty chart associated with the paper for the chart work questions.

But as you say, I wouldn't worry about it - ask your lecturer.
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

6. With reference to British Admiralty Charts, what do the following
                    abbreviations and terms mean?

a. Ldg
                    b. Rubha
                    c. PA
                    d. ga.M.sm.st
                    e. Co
                    f. Sy.v.Oz
                    g. Chart 5011

The only one I can't find is Rubha
                    As the questions says abbreviations and terms, you might be looking too hard. I can't say I'm familiar with the term, but a quick google search and comments above come up with Head, which probably means if you look at Admiralty Charts around Scotland you will find it on them, hence the 'term' Rubha xxxxx would be a point of land. Having Chart 5011 in the question is probably there to confuse you!?
                    If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

That's the chart work assessment from Glasgow. Cheating!!! I am shocked and horrified, wont somebody think of the children. On a more serious note I cant remember but I think it was Gaelic for point. It's definitely in 5011 though.

Comment

Working...
                      X