US Embassy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Embassy

Ive got to get my visa from the Us embassy in london next week. any tips from us visa holders whove done this before?

Re: US Embassy

Take as little as possible with you.... Be prepared to queue outside in the rain (if your unlucky) until your appointment time when they decide to let you inside to join another queue!

You can't take any electronic equipment in with you (no mobile phones or ipods). When I went you weren't allowed to take bags in either - but this might have changed.

Once inside, you take a number, sit around for a bit. They call you up to a window, they take your paperwork, and scan your fingerprints. You go sit down again for a while. They call your number to another window... They ask you a few questions ("So you work for a cruise line", "yes", "ok - thanks.. go pay"), you join another queue in order to pay and then you can leave.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Just dont mention the fact that you may have been part of the nazi government of Germany, part of a terrorist action or organisation or the odd bit of genocide that we do on the weekends (it was all on the form we had to fill in). That might hold you up a little....
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

yeah, resist the temptation to **** about.
        everybody knows the Yanks are utterly self-humiliatingly retarded for this ridiculous visa issuing system and the preposterous comedy questions that seem to be a residue from the Bush years, but you've just got to treat is like a trip to the local zoo, prison, or mental hospital - it's not big or clever to wind up the inmates... just humour them, and pretend to take it all very seriously; you can have your revenge by giving American tourists directions to the local gas works or crime-infested council estate once your outside their little bubble world.
        Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Goes back a lot further than dubya; Ellis Island was a century ago.
          '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
          just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
          down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
          new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

I went last week for my visa, went in about 12pm and was out by half 2 i think. The pharmacy Goulds is good as you can pay for storage for mobiles and keys with fobs on as you can't take them. Its pretty straight forward, If your visa is approved you will need to pay ?14 for delivery and this has to be my card you cannot pay cash. Take a book or something and be warned its pretty hot and stuff in there.

Comment

I think the whole visit took me 2 to 2.5 hr. I had an early appointment, which I think helps. There was no queuing outside at all.

The one thing I remember being a problem is that they want you to list every country you have visited and in which year. I couldn't quite remember everywhere and especially on what date. I'm sure I got it a bit wrong but it wasn't mentioned.

Make sure you read all the literature and forms they send you. You have to register and print out some form with a barcode on it to get in. I think I heard of people forgetting to do this and having a bit of bother.

Comment

Hmm I hope they have some exemption for ex-aircrew, if they want everywhere I've been to it'll be a long list.
                sigpic
                Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

you havent been to ISrael have you as my uncel has had many bad holidays due to the weard places he has been to like afganistan in the 80s the russians did not like that stamp. most arab states dont like israel stamps and the US hate YEMEN and somalia
                  Maybe I will never be
                  All the things that I want to be
                  But now is not the time to cry
                  Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Not surprising really. Their warship gets blown up in Yemen and the Somalia Militia managed to kill 19 of their soldiers.
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Aye but the US wasn't exactly flavour of the month in Yemen/Somalia before those incidents, and as for now.....
                      There's a fair amount of 'Reaping the Whirlwind' going on just now for Western countries, just that many simply can't bring themselves to admit it.

Comment

Working...
                      X