Passport Problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Problem.

So the passport office have lost my passport that has my US Visa in it. After sending my stuff off weeks ago and it being signed for over two weeks ago I get a call saying that it has arrived heavily damaged and passport is missing along with photographs. Only my forms and birth certificate are present. A new passport can still be arranged but my old one is gone with my visa. I am really quite distressed by this as I am meant to be going to sea soon. If my ship is not going to the US do I need that visa? I will be talking to my company tomorrow. This is no doubt going to end up costing me lots because of somebody else's carelessness and I don't know what to do? Surely there is some process of compensation? I have exams as the term is finishing for sea phase and now this. Not good at all. Any help appreciated.
    All views are my own and not that of my employer/training company.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....

Ok, breathe deep, it's not the end of the world, but Yes, phone your company and tell them, heck, weep at them, I probably would. It's not your fault, it happens, and it will be rectified with a few simple but possibly complicated steps....

No doubt you'll be wanting a passport, and (this is slight speculation) if you know your passport number and national insurance number perhaps, you should be able to (eventually) log into the government website and get a new one sent to you. (I have been struggling with the government gateway website to get a new driving license sent to me [was drunk, lost wallet] but forgot my login details and so have been trying to get through the paaaainfully long registration process on the slooooowest internet connection ever. Its still a work in progress, mainly due to lack of interest). For your C/D 1 visa, I suggest looking up US embassy visa renewal or US embassy, visa replacement, or just calling the US embassy.

If your ship is not going to the US then the visa will not be so urgent, a lot of shipping companies seem to make sure their cadets have one before they invest a lot in them, perhaps its more of a background check thing rather than an actual need for one...??

Oh and how was the package sent? Recorded delivery I assume? Insured to the value of the contents? (Which they do recommend for items worth over ?30) I do hope so because otherwise you'll hae a hard time getting much out of the delivery carriers?

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I can't sleep at all, just want 8am to come round so I can get on the phone!

I was needing a new Passport as mine was due to expire in a couple of months. No problem, it should have been here weeks ago with my old passport which has my visa in, sorted. But no. I sent it signed for to the Passport office which was signed for weeks ago. It appears they then sent it internally to Peterborough's office, where the loss has occurred. So I didnt send it when it got lost, so I am holding the passport office fully accountable for this. Getting a passport shouldn't be to hard, just costly. The visa is the issue. It has to be reported to the Embassy and it will be invalidated. As far as I am aware thats it, game over with that visa, start again?

Comment

Sorry mate, I don't know But yeah, if the passport office lost it, give em hell!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

That sucks.
          Should not be the end of the world though - they should expedite your application now.
          You will need a new US visa and to go through the whole process again.
          Get a reference number from the police.
          Try not to get too angry with the passport people... but this is pretty bad.
          I ALWAYS go for the passport while you wait service, even if it does drain a day out of a leave (not much help to you now - but something to think about next time) - its about 3 times the price, but I would not risk handing my passport to some spotty oik in the post office...
          Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Thanks. Having spoken to the Passport office adviser this morning, they basically have no clue what is going on either and are simply waiting for a call back from the Peterborough office that has whats left of my application. I am basically going to have to wait for a new Passport and then go through the US process again. Super peeved with this.

I have spoken to my TO this morning and basically my sea time will be delayed unit it is sorted.

With regards to the police, do I need to? It wasn't me that lost it, I can't give them any information other than I sent it off using singed for delivery and it was received on the 18th Feb and signed for by the Durham office. This is the Passports office loss.

As of now I will be saving every single document electronically and doing the while you wait service because this is just absolutely appalling.

Comment

Working...
            X