X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midge
    replied
    Originally posted by HolyNougat View Post
    Shouting, waving arms and getting over excited (as you have very well pointed out) does not belong on the bridge of a ship....
    They do that there too do they ! Mmm I can see why their not your favourite then lol

I have seen that kind of stuff on yachts racing when its all gone a bit tits up so to speak and times when its normal.
    Luckily I sailed with a very calm skip, who didn't do all that shouty stuff, grinds his teeth instead, keeps his crews and he wins. Says something I think.

Leave a comment:

• HolyNougat
    replied
    Shouting, waving arms and getting over excited (as you have very well pointed out) does not belong on the bridge of a ship....

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied
    Ref no 7
    What's wrong with Italians?
    I know they do a lot of shouting and waving arms and get a bit over excited at times. I used to ride a horse for an Italian family for a number of years. There was a lot of shouting but often not about anything serious lol. They do design beautiful things though, as long as you don't mind them falling apart a bit quicker than normal, I'm thinking cars..on the falling apart.
    They always seem very friendly and welcoming and thge food is fab too.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    I enjoy working aloft. must have a death wish or something

Leave a comment:

• SameRulesApply
    replied
    Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
    That would be cheating, surely?
    Haha nah it's not regarding this

Leave a comment:

• HolyNougat
    replied
    Personally I dislike the following in terms of my perceived risk:

1. Enclosed spaces (probably because I'm slightly claustrophobic)
    2. Lifeboats - would you go in a elevator with no safety brakes, one wire - where that wire had been outside for 5 years being eaten alive by sea air? exactly.
    3. Mooring Decks - this depends on the size of ship, big ships are worse.
    4. Loading heavy things on deck when you are standing near the lift.
    5. Working aloft.
    6. Being expected to put out a bloody big fire / plug a hole.
    7. Working with Italians.

Leave a comment:

• size4riggerboots
    replied
    That would be cheating, surely?

Leave a comment:

• SameRulesApply
    replied
    Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
    Ok, just to bring this back to topic - what do YOU perceive as the GREATEST danger on ship? I know my answer, but I'm going to hold back for a bit....
    Could you pm me ? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    well you've put me off the FFLB course in Aberdeen, I will try to avoid it for as long as possible.

Leave a comment:

• condeh
    replied
    By far and away it is Rescue Boat/Lifeboat/Freefall Lifeboat launches. I will tank dive all day every day, tap dance blindfolded at mooring stations and juggle fiery tyres while standing in 10 bights before I volunteer for a boat drill.

They are the only time I have ever genuinely thought someone is going to get seriously hurt here, and this wasn't a one off, I can recall 2-3 incidents in the last year in my last outfit where it was only good luck, not good management that stopped injuries, and that is just incidents I was onboard for. I don't think the company has too much blame either, the practices were generally good, with the usual room for improvement, but the apparatus and PMs are straight out of a kamikazee handbook. Honestly think they should have one of those Samaritans phone box things at every boat station...

(Freefalling a (thankfully empty) non-freefall boat a significant distance into the drink is a particular highlight, glad I wasn't there for that one!)

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    It's got to be a close tie between enclosed spaces and mooring decks, I think world wide throughout the industry enclosed spaces probably kill more people, but on well managed ships I would say that mooring decks are more dangerous as people tend to be less blas? about mooring stations than enclosed spaces.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
    Kids hosts are worse - although I wouldn't class either as the most dangerous thing on the ship...
    Sounds like the Safety Officers are if your last trip was anything to go by....

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied
    Originally posted by EH75 View Post
    Spa girls on cruise ships...
    Kids hosts are worse - although I wouldn't class either as the most dangerous thing on the ship...

Leave a comment:

• tommysevenfold
    replied
    Serious note then, while my company strictly forbid cadets having anything to do with them, We have had enclosed spaces drilled into us enough times to know that it's one of the most dangerous things that is still killing people! Probably falling from height as well, there was certainly 2 close calls with that while I was away last time.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by EH75 View Post
    Spa girls on cruise ships...
    I have heard stories...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X