No announcement yet.

Cunard Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at a cadetship with cunard and wondrewo if I can apply directly to cunard and only be on there ships. Is that possible? Also what is the rate of promotion like?

BTW as a regular po and cunard passenger the officer passenger interaction is very good in my opinion. Can wait till qm2 next july to Iceland!

Thanks for any help in advance

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaGolf View Post
      I'm looking at a cadetship with cunard and wondrewo if I can apply directly to cunard and only be on there ships. Is that possible? Also what is the rate of promotion like?
      You would have to apply to carnival uk and then it would be either p and o or cunard you'd end up on. You would move around and in all liklihood do a bit of time on both though. From a work point of view ats all pretty much the same anyway. Promotion is incredibly slow at the moment (I know of people who've been told they are going to get promoted but have been waiting for what seems like forever after that to get an actual position, you're talking 2 years) but if you did get the cadetship by the time you needed to worry about that there would be 3 new ships so probably a lot easier by then. Regardless you will almost certainly be employed upon qualification which is the main thing.

If you are going on as a passenger mention to someone you are intetested in a cadetship and they might get one of their cadets or officers to come and chat with you, maybe even a tour of the bridge if whoever is in charge over there is feeling nice!

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post

You would have to apply to carnival uk and then it would be either p and o or cunard you'd end up on. You would move around and in all liklihood do a bit of time on both though. From a work point of view ats all pretty much the same anyway. Promotion is incredibly slow at the moment (I know of people who've been told they are going to get promoted but have been waiting for what seems like forever after that to get an actual position, you're talking 2 years) but if you did get the cadetship by the time you needed to worry about that there would be 3 new ships so probably a lot easier by then. Regardless you will almost certainly be employed upon qualification which is the main thing.

If you are going on as a passenger mention to someone you are intetested in a cadetship and they might get one of their cadets or officers to come and chat with you, maybe even a tour of the bridge if whoever is in charge over there is feeling nice!
        Thank you EH75. Would you recommend going to a smaller cruise line for a cafetscad then return to cunard? Would that speed up promotion or not? Also one thing I can find on line is the cunard family travel policy. Can you enlighten me to what it entails please?

Thanks again and I'll speak to the officers on QM2 next july.

DeltaGolf

Comment

Can't really speak for smaller cruise companies as I haven't sailed on them, what i can say is the training with CUK is excellent and the ships work to extremely high standards and do things properly. I did my cadetship on cargo ships and moved to cruise on qualification, the cadets we have on CUK get much better training than I ever did. I wouldn't worry too much about promotion at your stage. You may be able to get faster promotion by jumping about a bit but you may find the pay and conditions are worse elsewhere. For example I could go to another cruise company tomorrow and jump up a rank, but actually be on a lower salary than I am at the moment. So what's the point? Better to wait a bit longer for promotion here to an even bigger salary!

Family travel is good, once qualified you can get people on for nothing as long as they stay in your cabin, then there are various concessions for pax cabins also but I won't go into all the detail on that. The length of time you can have people on for per year increases with rank but it starts off at 30 days when you are 3/O, which is plenty really. Don't think cadets are allowed family travel although I have heard of it happening. Think it depends on senior management in board.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
            Can't really speak for smaller cruise companies as I haven't sailed on them, what i can say is the training with CUK is excellent and the ships work to extremely high standards and do things properly. I did my cadetship on cargo ships and moved to cruise on qualification, the cadets we have on CUK get much better training than I ever did. I wouldn't worry too much about promotion at your stage. You may be able to get faster promotion by jumping about a bit but you may find the pay and conditions are worse elsewhere. For example I could go to another cruise company tomorrow and jump up a rank, but actually be on a lower salary than I am at the moment. So what's the point? Better to wait a bit longer for promotion here to an even bigger salary!

Family travel is good, once qualified you can get people on for nothing as long as they stay in your cabin, then there are various concessions for pax cabins also but I won't go into all the detail on that. The length of time you can have people on for per year increases with rank but it starts off at 30 days when you are 3/O, which is plenty really. Don't think cadets are allowed family travel although I have heard of it happening. Think it depends on senior management in board.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Maybe I'll stick to cuk rather than Fred olsen

DG

Comment

No problem, if you have any more questions feel free to give me a shout.

Comment

Working...
              X