Starting College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting College

Sort of a half rant/question. But how on earth do some companies expect a 16 year old to pull out approx. ?500 in advance for rent, uniform, travel and other supplies?

Bank of mum and dad, or any savings you might have from part time jobs. Most companies will reimburse you for uniform though; check with yours first.

Comment

I'm just out of school, on ?2.60 an hour and the majority of it goes to rent, I have no chance of money from mum/dad. On a serious note, what am I supposed to do if I really can't get the money?

Comment

If you open a student bank account they will normally give you an overdraft.
        Go out, do stuff

Comment

Seen someone say the other day we're not eligible for a student account, will check on this

Comment

Definitely worth a try, I know I had a student account when I was a gadget, but that was a few smokes ago.
            Go out, do stuff

Comment

Make sure you go and speak to your bank and let them know you will be paid back for some things and be paid monthly, then they will normally allow instant access to overdraft facilities.
              Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

Comment

Thanks, gonna see if I can go down tomorrow, I know I'll get reimbursed my medical and travel but still, it's a lot to instantly fork out, will go down to my bank but cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im not sure you can borrow money if you are under 18 as its a legally binding contract? You might if you have a parent acting as a guarantor perhaps.
                  You might find there is a hardship fund at college. Or grants that might be available.
                  There are a few around for seafarers. Does anyone know if sponsoring companies can help out? Just wondering if an advance on pay is possible. Though it will make the first few months difficult to pay it back.

Comment

Was just about to say..... no overdrafts until your 18 in the UK so that's not going to help you really mate! Defo allowed a student account though as I've had one since 2010.

Comment

Your sponsor may be willing to pay your first month's rent and then deduct it from your first pay cheque, which will at least defer the problem until you can get access to a hardship grant if your college has them. If you're lucky enough that your rent is less than half your pay then you could live off peanuts for two months until it balanced out.

Comment

Also found out that the rooms were sharing, never heard of this before in halls of residence

Comment

Originally posted by kirky1122 View Post
                          Also found out that the rooms were sharing, never heard of this before in halls of residence
                          that's moderately common even at normal uni halls

Comment

Ahh hahah! As you can see I enjoy moaning at most things, but who doesn't! Lol

Comment

Warsash share rooms too mate and if you get your cruise ship company.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X