Length of Sea Phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of Sea Phase

Just wondering how long the sea phase usually is? Like I know the start/end date but just wondering about any breaks in between? Like 4 on 1 off, I know it can vary but just a general number for a deep sea/worldwide trip.

It depends on the course and phase. I'm fd and just starting phase 2 and won't be back at college until the end of September. Phase 4 is 48 weeks for me. Breaks are variable and as far as I know erratic. You could be on a day's notice for 3 weeks so don't expect to be able to make plans for your time off. With my company I earn about a week's leave for every month on board

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Depends on ship type, company, operations, etc. There are no hard or fast rules for this sort of thing.

If you're on a ferry or offshore it may be as little as 4 weeks on, If on a tanker, depending on where you're operating it could be as little as 3 months to as long as 6 months on board.

As HW says, breaks will be erratic and don't expect your sponsor to be sympathetic if you go holiday whilst on notice (I was in college with a lad who got the boot for that)
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Most people in our intake for ETO's first phase was 3-4 months at sea and think we had a 6 month period off. next its like 9 months and most people haven't been told but some of us have a 4 and 2 others have a 5 month. Some are thinking they will only get 3 (as eto's we only need to do 6 months minimum) the deck and engineers were the same as us for first phase too with theirs being from 3-4 months, some may of been shorter but I dont know too many.

Comment

I found this in an e-mail I'd typed up (removed the ship names)

Box Boat 25/2/11- 11/06/11
          Box Boat 15/07/11-22/08/11
          Box Boat 12/04/12-03/07/12
          Box Boat 20/08/12-03/12/12
          AHTS 09/01/13-11/2/13
          AHTS 26/02/13-30/03/13

Stick a day or two either way on the box boat days for traveling/staying in hotels/lying on the beach in Coogee Bay in Sydney etc and you're sorted

Comment

So on average 3-4 months yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kirky1122 View Post
              So on average 3-4 months yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yeh deep sea expect 3-4 months then costal generally 2weeks-1month. Although this does vary company to company we had guys who got 12months sea time other who had 18months.

Comment

I had.....13 months I think? The dates are there if anyone wants to add it up :P

Comment

Yeah I'm getting like 9-10 months in total but I'm assuming it will be 3-4months for 2 trips and a couple of weeks off maybe?

Comment

What do you mean 9-10 months? Yeah, well you can see how long I had off between trips, sometimes you get longer..... I got a lot of time of between one trip and another due to confusions, weather delaying ships etc

Comment

My Phase 2 is from Mid July 2014 to Mid April 2015, just depends on the circumstances then

Comment

Oh Right I thought you meant you were getting 10 months sea time total, which isn't enough :P

Comment

Ahh lol! Bummer that I'll not be home for my 18th in March, well I don't imagine I will be anyway if my phase 2 ends mid april lol

Comment

You do know you have a phase 4 though? As in like a second sea phase?

Comment

Yea man, looking forward to phase 2 but as hopefully there's decent weather june-october lol

Comment

Working...
                              X