Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty in maths.

Hi all,
    I am starting in Fleetwood in January as a deck cadet with CMT but I am a bit rusty in maths as I haven't done any since school about 5 years ago. In the equipment pack CMT suggest these places to revise from
    http://www.marine-society.org/mathsatsea and https://www.khanacademy.org/mission/math
    I was just wondering if any here had any experience with either of these sites, the marine society one in particular as it is around ?15 for a full course on there. Any recommendations of other places to look would be appreciated also.

Hi Mate,
    I'm in exactly same boat. Starting with CMT at Fleetwood soon and also really rusty at maths. I've started using the marine society one. It's pretty good and takes you through everything you need to know and has tests at the end and mini ones as you go along

Comment

Originally posted by acoe1986 View Post
      Hi Mate,
      I'm in exactly same boat. Starting with CMT at Fleetwood soon and also really rusty at maths. I've started using the marine society one. It's pretty good and takes you through everything you need to know and has tests at the end and mini ones as you go along
      It sounds good through their website, I just wanted to be sure. Would you say it is worth the money? It was ?15 right?

Comment

Personally I think it is. Up to you really as you might be able to just do it all through different free sources but I liked that its all in one place and is geared to what we need to know. And yes ?15.

Comment

Although you haven't done it in a while they do generally start from scratch and are really good, although I'm doing the FD, they were really helpful when it came to maths even though it's meant to be more of a learn your self course, they even had night classes on. I am at STC but presume Fleetwood would be the same.

That's just my point of view, but maths didn't seem to hard to pick up and I hadn't done A levels, or maths for a few years.

Comment

Yeah I would definitely prefer it all to be in one place. I think you have sold me on it to be honest haha, I will get it sorted tomorrow and get working through it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTR31 View Post
              Yeah I would definitely prefer it all to be in one place. I think you have sold me on it to be honest haha, I will get it sorted tomorrow and get working through it.
              There are some really good maths tutorials on YouTube if you have a problem understanding something, but a course designed to cover the maths you need sounds a good idea.

Comment

You could cover a lot of what you need on the BBC Bitesize website to be honest. Also, if you go to the warsash website you can download a study guide:
                http://www.warsashacademy.co.uk/care...udy-guide.aspx

I'd advise you revise formula transposition, quadratics and trigonometry as priorities. You'll also need to be fairly fluent in the use and logic of your calculator. By logic, I mean BODMAS, and where your calculator does or doesn't require brackets etc. You'll be plugging in long sums into your calculators on a regular basis in nav.

e.g.

Comment

I'm working my way through the warsash material. Seems good. I actually prefer non calculator work! I understand bodmas, but can't work it so the calculator gives me the right answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                  http://pinkscampi.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
                    You could cover a lot of what you need on the BBC Bitesize website to be honest. Also, if you go to the warsash website you can download a study guide:
                    http://www.warsashacademy.co.uk/care...udy-guide.aspx

I'd advise you revise formula transposition, quadratics and trigonometry as priorities. You'll also need to be fairly fluent in the use and logic of your calculator. By logic, I mean BODMAS, and where your calculator does or doesn't require brackets etc. You'll be plugging in long sums into your calculators on a regular basis in nav.

e.g.
                    BODMAS forgotten that! Sohcahtoa, I can remember, didn't have calculators in my day at school what a luxury, it was log tables and slide rules.....etc!!!

Comment

To be honest I think a lot of people worry about being rusty in Maths. During your first week, to the best of my knowledge, you all have a maths assessment or test. Those that fly through it and get top marks are let out to play early. (Do not need to do additional Maths support). Those that do OK have to go to the normal maths lessons. Those that struggle carry on with the lessons and get additional support offered so that they do the maths lessons and have some extra help as well. I think that all of the colleges are supportive in some way or another to help everyone get up to speed with the maths.

By all means go and do some bitesize revision to blow some dust out of your ears, but do not start getting yourself wound up about it.

Hope this helps settle the nerves.

Ian
                      "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                      "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

A wee bit. Its been about 6 years since I last did maths! I chose my degree due to the lack of maths! I now want to be one the ones who gets let out to play!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                        http://pinkscampi.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                          BODMAS forgotten that! Sohcahtoa, I can remember, didn't have calculators in my day at school what a luxury, it was log tables and slide rules.....etc!!!
                          ooh maybe you could teach me sometime. You could set up a futurelearn-hangout-thingummy...
                          I'm really sad like that but I bought an old school book with log and nav tables etc, and couldn't work out the log tables. I thought I had it a few times, but then tried to test it with other sums and failed

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
                          To be honest I think a lot of people worry about being rusty in Maths. During your first week, to the best of my knowledge, you all have a maths assessment or test. Those that fly through it and get top marks are let out to play early. (Do not need to do additional Maths support). Those that do OK have to go to the normal maths lessons. Those that struggle carry on with the lessons and get additional support offered so that they do the maths lessons and have some extra help as well. I think that all of the colleges are supportive in some way or another to help everyone get up to speed with the maths.

By all means go and do some bitesize revision to blow some dust out of your ears, but do not start getting yourself wound up about it.

Hope this helps settle the nerves.

Ian
                          This is true for the FD deck cadets. However, the HND have to do maths regardless. The engineers do the same initial assessment test, but will have to go to classes regardless as they have much harder maths. Having said that it's not beyond the abilities of anyone; AS level standard maybe, but mostly it just dips into calculus with integration and differentiation really (I think).

The initial maths test is a GCSE level multiple choice test, about an hour long; it also has no bearing on how you do, only whether you have to attend the maths classes. The maths course for deckies really doesn't get harder than GCSE so don't stress at all.

Comment

Most of the cadets that I've seen fail at college is due to the maths, and it's not even that difficult. I'm not sure what the entry requirement are these days, but maybe they should make a relatively high entry requirement for maths. This to help save people that are unable to do it from wasting time going to college and failing. It's funny because once qualified maths is rarely used as there is software does it all for us, but it's important to understand the principals I guess.

Some colleges don't give much maths support I think.

Comment

hey im in phase 3 at fleetwood now so i can they will introduce the maths at a crazy simple level , simpler than gcse so dont worry about it and they have two clinics (after school clubs) a week if you do sturggle . but BBC bitize is good to have a look over , you could always do a GSCE in maths if you have some time i know in my area you could do them for free but in genral dont worry about it there will be an assesment in the first week you come up but thats just for the teachers to see where everyones at its not a test on you or anything

Comment

Working...
                              X